GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Intake Brands Are Best for my TDi?

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
I just got my 2010 Golf TDi last week, and I am wishing to upgrade the intake system (as it is a diesel and needs it). What brands are y'all going with? I've seen the APR thing, but then I'm always more trusting towards K&N. Any opinions or stories about these intakes? Also if anybody knows of a better intake please, do tell.

jkrew

They're both the same and will do absolutely nothing noticeable for your car, if take away power. Stick with the stock box and a drop in filter from K&N *thumbup*

jkrew

hahaha touche!

In all honesty, I'm a new MK6 owner but after coming into this world from a dozen other VW's, I still see the same questions asked and see the same comments about cone's giving off oils to the MAF that I saw when the MK3's and MK4's came out. Same questions and results, just a different car model.

Is there a chance you can get some oil residue in your MAF? Sure, but not likely. You can also go with a dry filter to take away the risk.

At the end of the day, if you get the K&N kit with the heatshield, you are still removing the factory plastic shielding that prevents heat soak, thus sucking in gobs of hot engine heat and then robbing you of power. But now you have a metal shield that will soak up the heat as well. Not a great idea.

If you go with the APR kit, you are essentially replacing your plastic box for a CF box that looks pretty. Personally, CF is useless in aftermarket pieces (unless truly used to reduce weight) and is just a selling gimmick. Plus it's tacky.

My advice, do what has worked for every generation of VW in the past, hack up the base of the box in the right places, allowing more air in, grab a better breathable K&N filter and slap it in the OEM location. Best of both worlds, no fear of MAF's getting oiled up and you may, MAY get 1-2HP gains max.

That is unless you just want something showy and go with the above alternatives ;)

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
stay stock ... since its good for low speed/low rpm driving so good on DIESEL ..
but if you wanna go faster and rev it from 3,000 and up ... do it
(( neuspeed has a TDI intake ... ))

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Neuspeed intake looks like a real nice product, has a good heat shield that looks like it might actually keep more warm air out.

zanyrsc

Ready to race!
Do not recommend a K&N filter that s Big know form VW. it would cause check engine light on. and if it was to effect the MAS air. they are not cheap. stay stock. filter by its self is not going to do much.

1analguy

Ready to race!
hahaha touche!

In all honesty, I'm a new MK6 owner but after coming into this world from a dozen other VW's, I still see the same questions asked and see the same comments about cone's giving off oils to the MAF that I saw when the MK3's and MK4's came out. Same questions and results, just a different car model.

Is there a chance you can get some oil residue in your MAF? Sure, but not likely. You can also go with a dry filter to take away the risk.

At the end of the day, if you get the K&N kit with the heatshield, you are still removing the factory plastic shielding that prevents heat soak, thus sucking in gobs of hot engine heat and then robbing you of power. But now you have a metal shield that will soak up the heat as well. Not a great idea.

If you go with the APR kit, you are essentially replacing your plastic box for a CF box that looks pretty. Personally, CF is useless in aftermarket pieces (unless truly used to reduce weight) and is just a selling gimmick. Plus it's tacky.

My advice, do what has worked for every generation of VW in the past, hack up the base of the box in the right places, allowing more air in, grab a better breathable K&N filter and slap it in the OEM location. Best of both worlds, no fear of MAF's getting oiled up and you may, MAY get 1-2HP gains max.

That is unless you just want something showy and go with the above alternatives ;)

I owned a car in the late '80s that was a turbo gasser. I "knew" it needed more air, so I bought a new K&N drop-in for it. At first, it ran about the same as with the stock paper element, but in short order the performance began to taper off. When I investigated, I found that oil had migrated out of the element and downstream onto/into the MAF sensor. I tried cleaning the sensor, but it was no good. I had to replace it...an expensive lesson that I never forgot. With a new sensor and new stock paper element the car ran perfectly again, and always did thereafter. And, the oil issue is just one potential problem. Another is the added dirt allowed through a K&N. A K&N may or may not flow more air, but it does flow more dirt. It will make several things in and on your TDI long-term unhappy, starting with the impeller in your turbo. A K&N is an oily rag with holes in it. It will only do harm. The best brand of intake for a new TDI is: VW...specifically, the intake that came on the car from the factory. Change it out at your own risk...

Last edited:

demonrabbit

Ready to race!
I have AFE which uses the bottom end of the stock box i sealed the flap shut and com spring will tune it and mod the box a little more also got the afe because it offers a dry flow

1analguy

Ready to race!
Just keep in mind, if it's a drop-in replacement element and it really does flow more air, it probably passes more dirt, too. Since the stock element has been shown to flow more than enough air, I just don't understand all the desperation to spend a lot of time/money/work replacing something that works so well already...:iono: