GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 06-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
choloblanco
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 Golf R in Candy White
2013 MK6 Golf R Can Follower Question

So, I recently bought a MK6 R, I love the thing. I had a MK6 GTI and traded it in. My question though, is about the cam follower on the R. I have seen a lot of people saying it needs regular replacement and that it is FSI 101. But, I thought that, given the year and the fact it has TSI written on the engine cover, that isn't something I would have to worry about. Am I missing something or is this correct? I plan on keeping this thing for a very very long while and want to keep it as perfect as possible. Please advise, thank you.
choloblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Yes its similar to the older EA113 FSI timing belt driven engines but strengthened and upgraded for the Golf R. Yes it uses the older non roller cam follower design so it should be a maintenance item but its not really a big deal and easy to replace. Its a completely different engine than the EA888 TSI found in your old mk6 GTI even though VW did label the MK6 Golf R engine as a TSI also for these years.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
choloblanco
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 Golf R in Candy White
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Since I don't know when it was last replaced, I'm ordering one now for peace of mind. Your help is appreciated.
choloblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Fast-R
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 4 Door Golf R
VW got the cam follower design right in the MK7 Golf R, it's not worth it for everyone, but you can get a kit to convert the MK6 Golf R cam follower to the MK7 roller cam follower if you want to never have to look at or replace the cam follower again..