GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R- One Year Later

Well, the one thing I can give you, Vance, is that this request is not entirely impossible :laugh:

do eeeet

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Agreed, just stating that this isn't going to help the throw due to weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I put A3 shift knob on before I did the VWR SS with Tyrolsport SSBB and 42dd end link bushing. With all the stock shifting slop I was used to dealing with, it was tough to tell if the lighter knob had any negative effect on throws. I really don't think it did.

After those mods, the shifting is as close to perfect as its ever gonna get. Very precise clean shifting. I went with the 15% reduction setting, as opposed to the 35% reduction, because I wanted to retain somewhat of a stock feel, at least in terms of throw because that's what I've been used to since 1998. The s2s reduction from the VWR kit is about 7% so I didn't really have to spend any time getting used to the new throws.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend this setup. Big shoutout to TLud for his guidance in choosing my setup:thumbsup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Well, some big things have happened since I last updated this...

About a month ago I ditched the Carbonio intake and went with the VWR intake. At the same time I had the APR Intercooler installed by APTuning. My first impression was just pure amazement. It literally felt like I increased a full stage in power it was that drastic of a difference.

I was concerned that the added power might be enough to send send the stock clutch to its grave. Sure enough, it was. Of course, that isn't the whole story. Two things... First, I was trying to beat up on the clutch to see what it could take. And it took a lot! Second, it didn't start actually slipping until after I let a friend drive my R. I know... I know... but it's not what you think. This wasn't just any friend. It was friend who let me drive his 2013 v6 supercharged Audi S4 at the same time. We had a fun drive together through the PA twisties and I loved the S4. Handled like a boat compared to the R, but it was awesome to drive. I loved seeing my R in the rearview and I could hear the VWR intakes noises as he trailed right behind me. Sadly, the next day in my commute to work it was slip city in 5th gear.

The R drove fine as long as wasn't WOT in 5th or 6th so I took some time to pick out a brand new clutch. My criteria for picking out the clutch was that it had to hold stage 3 power and it had to be chatter free. That really limited my options and what I ended up with was the RSR Clutch from HSTuning. I've only been driving on it for a 40 miles, so I have quite a ways before I can truly have fun in my R again, but I am already in love. The pedal pressure is ever so slightly stiffer than stock but I expect that to decrease as the clutch breaks in. Engagement is just a tad lower that stock but that is actually where I'd expect it to be. And this thing grabs nicely. It honestly feels like driving a new car again.

That is all for now. I'll report back when I can drive this thing the way it was meant to be driven.

Cheers!

Dude

tldr = I had some new parts installed on my R:
- APR IC
-VWR Intake
-HSTuning RSR Clutch
-All is well :)

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Dude, sounds great. Just need more pics of the car :thumbsup: