GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First car accident (with video)

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
After 6 years without incident, it happened
I was following a car and coming to an intersection, the car started to go and turning right. I start moving, I look left to see if the road is clear. It's clear so I go but when I thought the lane was clear, the car had stop in front of me in the middle of the intersection.

The lady told she had to brake because of the car in front of her but the video shows a clear path to the right lane so I have no idea why she decided to stop in the middle of the corner

I am at fault of course but I wonder what you guys think of it? Also a picture of my car...It scrapped my day for sure

Question for the VW expert, the bumper is not cracked, only paint is required so far. The light is working perfectly, only the cover is damaged. Is it possible to replace only the light cover? Fender I think will need to replaced and I have a small dent on the hood. I barely have any paint damage. Any idea how much you guys estimate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5PNbUgXq_w&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• 20150924_182254 (1024x768).jpg
    20150924_182254 (1024x768).jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 335

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Bummer man. Look on the bright side, at least you and the other driver weren't seriously injured. Every time I've crashed a car, it was a total loss and I usually had injuries that required a lot of down time to heal.

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
Bummer man. Look on the bright side, at least you and the other driver weren't seriously injured. Every time I've crashed a car, it was a total loss and I usually had injuries that required a lot of down time to heal.

Yes I know, I was so proud of myself from all the accidents I avoided from the other drivers over the year and I caused one. I feel so crap right

BigDezzy

Ready to race!
Glad your ok. I've done nearly the exact same thing. I was behind someone who was inching forward to merge into traffic. I was looking left at traffic and easing forward too. She slowly stopped instead of rolling on. I bumped into her rear bumper. It sounded horrible inside my car. No one was hurt, not damage, just complete embarrassment. Your damage doesn't look too bad. Few thousand and your off to the races. Good luck!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Had a similar accident a few years back. The car I hit had a small scratch on the rear bumper and he was cool about the situation. As for mine....busted radiator, radiator support and bent hood. Had to get the car towed home. Shit happens.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I did this a few years back. Had a lady in front if me merging into traffic. Traffic cleared, she started rolling forward, I looked left to see if I could go too, for some reason she stopped and I tapped her. We both had SUV's though and neither had damge so I got lucky.

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
I did this a few years back. Had a lady in front if me merging into traffic. Traffic cleared, she started rolling forward, I looked left to see if I could go too, for some reason she stopped and I tapped her. We both had SUV's though and neither had damge so I got lucky.

Small car are so practical but they are so fragile, now I may consider a suv or pick up in the future

Vroomer

Banned
That's a very common accident that happens all the time, people merging while looking at the other side and hitting the car in front of them. You can't really blame the lady. Shit happens, sometimes we all relax too much while driving. I haven't caused an accident in my 11 years of driving, you are kind of scaring me that I am do for one.

Last edited:

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
The whole headlight will have to be replaced, the lenses are not removeable. I would bet the bumper will need to be replaced too. Even if its not cracked I bet most of the clips on that side are.

Is the hood pushed up too? Or is the fender just pushed out? Can't really tell from the pic.

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
The whole headlight will have to be replaced, the lenses are not removeable. I would bet the bumper will need to be replaced too. Even if its not cracked I bet most of the clips on that side are.

Is the hood pushed up too? Or is the fender just pushed out? Can't really tell from the pic.

The hood only has a little dent

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Looks like another GTI was across the street behind the pine tree when you were sitting there.

The car will be fixed. Definitely a bummer, but glad it was only minor.

blower

Ready to race!
Sorry buddy, but if you want the job done properly that's a new right wing, probably a new bumper (depending on plastic lug damage) and as above the whole headlight as you cannot get any parts for that separately.

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
Sorry buddy, but if you want the job done properly that's a new right wing, probably a new bumper (depending on plastic lug damage) and as above the whole headlight as you cannot get any parts for that separately.

Oh jeez, why do you have to do that VW?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to say this but this can be easily avoided, as I noticed you hit the lady after her brake lights are off. Never the less, it could've been worse.

From what I see, the hood might be replaced, that will never be same again. Headlight looks like needs replacement, but perhaps just the lens can be doable, check if the lights work and warn the body shop about it that the broken lens lights work. The bumper can be buffed out and the dent on fender is fixable by PDR, so in USD around $2,000.

Small car are so practical but they are so fragile, now I may consider a suv or pick up in the future

sad but true. But normal to normal car, it's a different story. This is one of the reasons people buy SUV's. But SUV's have disadvantages in sudden accident avoidance.