GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ vs Pilot Super Sport

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I have a new job and am considering going with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires over Pilot Super Sports due to the slightly longer wear life and the fact that our winters have been harsher than usual. I'm also driving a lot more than usual.

Realistically, what kind of diminished performance will I notice in real world driving? I spoke to one of my friends with a M3 and he stated that he switched to A/S over the Pilot Super Sports due to the fact that he can't rotate and gets a more life out of them. He stated that for our craptastic roads, there is barely a difference.

I was just wondering if anyone else made the switch and noticed a huge difference or not?

Pooley

Ready to race!
I've run through two sets of Super Sports and now run A/S 3+. Love the A/S 3+, they ride really well and are quiet plus they give the possibility of not just use in freezing temps but also ability to drive in light snow. I don't regret the move at all and would go for the A/S 3+ again for sure. I have had them for the last 18 months, got on sale at Tire Rack for $500 for a set of 4 after $70 rebate. The Super Sports are great in dry and rain but not designed for cold temp use and you'll go absolutely nowhere in any level of snow beyond a flurry. They have nothing in the tread design to grip snow and are only designed for max rubber contact.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I think I am going to give the A/S 3+ a try then. Worst case, I could always run 2 sets of tires since I have 2 sets of wheels. I just don't feel like paying for 2 sets of tires right now.

Pooley

Ready to race!
I have an old set of Blizzaks on a set of Audi wheels but it's so much easier just having one all season tire unless super heavy snow is planned. Haven't put the snow tires on for a few winters

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
AS3+s are great for what exactly what you need. I had PSS previously and AS3+ on my wife's car. AS3+ probably has about 70% of PSS dry grip. It won't grip like summer tires due to it need to being all seasons, but that is the trade off for longer life, works in wider temperature range, sacrifice some dry grip.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
AS3+s are great for what exactly what you need. I had PSS previously and AS3+ on my wife's car. AS3+ probably has about 70% of PSS dry grip. It won't grip like summer tires due to it need to being all seasons, but that is the trade off for longer life, works in wider temperature range, sacrifice some dry grip.

My next tires will be AS3+. We get a good amount of rain (w/ low temp) during winter so... Have heard many good things about AS3+ as well.