GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 or 2011 gti

alvin24

Ready to race!
Check today at a Southern CA VW dealership and it appears they had stopped the orders for the 2010 gti's. They informed me that the 2011 will be coming in for the Fall.

My question is: From people who had experience in purchasing vehicles in the past. Is it better to just take the left over 2010 or get a 2011? What month of the year is it best to purchase the 2010? I'm assuming the 2010 gets a little cheaper. And has anyone gotten below invoice price in California?

boofer

All I know is that a year younger car will look better to the buyer if you're trying to sell it later.

...but the price tag of a 2010 when the 2011's hit the lot will look a lot nicer to you when you actually buy the car...you will always be able to pay appropriately (and significantly) less for the outgoing model year compared to the new ones that arrive.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
If you are thinking about leasing (don't know whether or not you are), the residual values are usually the highest at the beginning of the model year. If a possible lease enters in the equation, the higher residual percentage at the start of the model year would make the 2011 more attractive to lease this coming September (or whenever they start hitting the lots) versus an identical 2010 sitting right next to it. Granted, the dealer would probably sell the '10 for less than the '11, but if the residual rate is even 5% difference, they'd have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 less on the '10 just to make the pmts equal.

ashwinaj

Passed Driver's Ed
Check today at a Southern CA VW dealership and it appears they had stopped the orders for the 2010 gti's. They informed me that the 2011 will be coming in for the Fall.

My question is: From people who had experience in purchasing vehicles in the past. Is it better to just take the left over 2010 or get a 2011? What month of the year is it best to purchase the 2010? I'm assuming the 2010 gets a little cheaper. And has anyone gotten below invoice price in California?

You'll always get a deal on something that's in a dealer's lot than on something that isn't here. That said you might not get a configuration to your liking (like me) and end up paying for options you don't need or get a car with no options of your choice.

So I've decided to wait and see if dealers can find my configuration, else place an order when the 2011 info. comes out.

FaRcAuNrKa

I was actually thinking the same thing. However, I'm hoping for AUTO headlights and A/C on the 2011 model which makes me want to wait a few months.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I'm probably going for a 2011 now myself since they quit taking orders. They couldn't find one in my configuration within the entire southeast US region. Even if they did, I don't want the thing driven 100's of miles to get to me. Plus with the cold-engine redline test drives and stories of 87 octane fuel, I want an ordered one even more. Would probably get a better deal on a 2010 but heck I'll pay a premium for it to be BRAND new...

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
Plus with the cold-engine redline test drives and stories of 87 octane fuel.....

FWIW I take these tales with more than a huge grain of salt. Anyone can say anything on the internet. Even if there is an inkling of truth to the underlying tale, it's always anecdotal, more than likely exaggerated by the commenter trying to bolster his/her point, and represents no more than a fraction of a percent of the tens of thousands of happy GTI owners - the vast majority of whom never even visit a forum like this.

Think about it. Most happy owners never take to a forum to vent their happiness. Most of these forums are populated by we tech-junkies who are voracious for more info, and by the relative few who are looking for an arena to share their tales of woe. Stories of, say, outlandish behavior by the local salesman, sell way better than the story of a salesman who was genuinely a nice guy, honest, and a pro (which was the case in our purchase).

We generally see a skewed viewpoint here - even if it's just amongst ourselves. It's true of any online forum.

Last edited:

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Well I can personally vouch for the aggressive driving, but not the 87 octane fuel-ups.

Actually, probably the 87 fuel as well. I worked for a dealership for a number of years, that sold Pontiac, Buick, and GMC. A couple of the vehicles recommended premium fuel, and were always filled up with 87 from the tank we had on-site. I realize recommended is different that required, which makes the case of the GTIs worse if true.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I realize recommended is different that required, which makes the case of the GTIs worse if true.

Not sure what you mean here. On the GTI, premium fuel is recommended, not required. Whereas on higher end cars (Mercedes, BMW, etc.), premium fuel is required.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Not sure what you mean here. On the GTI, premium fuel is recommended, not required. Whereas on higher end cars (Mercedes, BMW, etc.), premium fuel is required.

Oh I thought 91 was required of most forced induction cars these days

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
I don't think I could wait till the fall.

alvin24

Ready to race!
if theres a big difference in the price then i would purchase the 2010. but if not, i'd rather wait for the 2011. really appreciate all the info and time guys.

alvin24

Ready to race!
BTW, im looking for a gray, 4door, auto with sunroof. do you guys think this will still be available by june?