GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need to upgrade the sound - APR downpipe?

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I've run:

AWE Downpipe + Stock Catback
AWE Downpipe + Stock Catback, resonator removed
Stock downpipe + Stock catback, resonator removed
Stock Downpipe + AWE Catback

I thought the rez delete would be a cheap way to good sound; It was 'okay,' but did drone.

The stock downpipe and AWE catback is the best combo I've tried, to date.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm almost tempted to go APR downpipe + AWE catback+ Stage 2 for the soft sound and have a sleeper. Cant argue with those black round tips :drool:

Even though this is totally not what the OP would do lol

Milltek is probably the best I've heard, but quite pricey.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
In case you do pursue that, know that the APR and AWE pipes are different diameters.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yes I know,

APR- 3"
AWE- 2.5"

However APR's downpipe comes with a reducer to fit stock exhausts

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Best setup for a "sleeper" is a 3" ATP catless downpipe (or even a "ebay downpipe") to the stock catback if you have the CCTA version

$350 SHIPPED is the price & the stock catback is "free"...LOL
No drone & keeps the exhaust civilized

And then maybe just change out the OEM tips, if you want nicer ones.
That's the cheapest way to go, IMO.

I still have my ATP dp from my MKV and plan on swapping it to the MKVI

GTI-VI

Ready to race!
once u start tuning ur gonna be in TUNER MODE one tune will lead to another tune and another tune will lead to another tune and if something better comes it will lead to that a never ending cycle and at the end of the day the car ur leasing will end up the car ur buying ;P

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
at the end of the day the car ur leasing will end up the car ur buying ;P

Not 100% true

I modded the crap out of my MKV (which was a lease), and I ended up taking all the parts off & trading it in yesterday.
I got out of my lease 14 months early too. Lease buy out was $16,500 & that's what I got for trade-in

It was my first VW and I fell in love with the car....so I kept some of the mods & then stepped up to a MKVI

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
Not 100% true

I modded the crap out of my MKV (which was a lease), and I ended up taking all the parts off & trading it in yesterday.
I got out of my lease 14 months early too. Lease buy out was $16,500 & that's what I got for trade-in

It was my first VW and I fell in love with the car....so I kept some of the mods & then stepped up to a MKVI
Unique situation for you though because all the mods (as far as I know) off your 2009 MkV TSI are compatible with your new MkVI. Interesting query I have for you... But I'm gonna have to PM you so as not to jack this thread too much.

VA VDUB

Passed Driver's Ed
mines a borla catback and went to a single cherrybomb cat on the stock DP instead of two really restrictive cats, really nice deep growl and no drone when your just cruising

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
went to a single cherrybomb cat on the stock DP

I'm curious to see pics of that & who did the work.

Because the first cat is right off the flange & is a 90 degree angle down & then another cat past that (after the flex joint)

The one after the flex joint would be easy to replace. But they would've had to cut that "pre cat" off & then bend up some tubing & then weld it in to replace that 90 degree bend, then cut off the other cat & weld in the new "cherrybomb cat" all while making sure that they didn't shorten or lengthen the pipe at all :confused:

Not saying it's impossible, but that's a fair amount of work when done correctly

Unless they just gutted that "pre cat" and then welded in the cherry bomb cat in place of the 2nd one