GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkVI vs 370Z

msm00b

Ready to race!
But GTI is by no means the best car that I could afford. It's just cheap and fun.

It was never about how much you could afford, it was more a matter of what you get for the money. There are certainly nicer cars out there, but the vast majority of people can't responsibly afford (and shouldn't try to afford) them. Aside from that, I doubt many would call 25-30k "cheap", but it certainly is affordable. You gotta remember, the median annual american yearly income is in the low 30ks ... and entry level daily drivers start around the 12-14k range.

cnimativ

Ready to race!
It was never about how much you could afford, it was more a matter of what you get for the money. There are certainly nicer cars out there, but the vast majority of people can't responsibly afford (and shouldn't try to afford) them. Aside from that, I doubt many would call 25-30k "cheap", but it certainly is affordable. You gotta remember, the median annual american yearly income is in the low 30ks ... and entry level daily drivers start around the 12-14k range.

Medium household income varies by region

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
the median annual american yearly income is in the low 30ks ... and entry level daily drivers start around the 12-14k range.

The most recently report US median income was a bit over $50K ($52,000ish iirc) in 2008. While it likely dropped a bit right now (due more to unemployment than to lower paying jobs) it won't be that drastic a change.

Medium household income varies by region

A median income level can be determined for any area; county, city, local; regional, state, or all of the US (or any country for that matter). ;)

Bender1

Banned
Bender's Rules for VS Forum Topics.

1) .Unless you did it on a track, you are putting people's lives at risk with your "kills." That makes you an asshole.
2) No you didn't. He either wasn't racing or he let you win. Trust me, we know you didn't.
3) I don't care about numbers. I can quote numbers too. 3.14. See? They don't make your "kill" "totally epic."
4) See rule 1. Remember you are an asshole.
5) I don't think you can drive for shit. The more you post in here to make yourself seem like a big man, the more I know you can't drive.
6) See rule 1. Remember you are an asshole.
7) You realize you didn't buy a drag racer? You bought (or your daddy bought you) a car intended for excellence on the backroads and in the twisties. If you didn't want that, trade it in and get something else.
8) See Rule 6, 4, or 1

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9081

msm00b

Ready to race!
The most recently report US median income was a bit over $50K ($52,000ish iirc) in 2008. While it likely dropped a bit right now (due more to unemployment than to lower paying jobs) it won't be that drastic a change.

That's the median household income if I remember correctly. The median american salary (men/women combined and averaged) is low 30s per person in the workforce in 2005 (likely higher than it currently is with the recession). Anytime you're considering households with more than one income, you inevitably up the ante even further with higher mortgage/rent payments, the need for more total vehicles for transportation, and the more you have to set aside $$ for shit like insurance (not to mention kids to feed).

PS: bender is my hero

cnimativ

Ready to race!
Bender's Rules for VS Forum Topics.

1) .Unless you did it on a track, you are putting people's lives at risk with your "kills." That makes you an asshole.
2) No you didn't. He either wasn't racing or he let you win. Trust me, we know you didn't.
3) I don't care about numbers. I can quote numbers too. 3.14. See? They don't make your "kill" "totally epic."
4) See rule 1. Remember you are an asshole.
5) I don't think you can drive for shit. The more you post in here to make yourself seem like a big man, the more I know you can't drive.
6) See rule 1. Remember you are an asshole.
7) You realize you didn't buy a drag racer? You bought (or your daddy bought you) a car intended for excellence on the backroads and in the twisties. If you didn't want that, trade it in and get something else.
8) See Rule 6, 4, or 1

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9081

:icon_secta:

That's the median household income if I remember correctly. The median american salary (men/women combined and averaged) is low 30s per person in the workforce in 2005 (likely higher than it currently is with the recession). Anytime you're considering households with more than one income, you inevitably up the ante even further with higher mortgage/rent payments, the need for more total vehicles for transportation, and the more you have to set aside $$ for shit like insurance (not to mention kids to feed).

PS: bender is my hero

GTI costs less than 25% of the annual medium household income in my area, including the 9.25% sales tax. And with a 3 year 0% APR financing, its can certainly be considered a cheap car to buy.

msm00b

Ready to race!
GTI costs less than 25% of the annual medium household income in my area, including the 9.25% sales tax. And with a 3 year 0% APR financing, its can certainly be considered a cheap car to buy.

Define "area". Your street? Your neighborhood? Your suburb? Your city? Methinks you'd have a hard time defining "area" as anything larger than a neighborhood if you're implying that those within said "area" have an average annual income > 100k.

SF has pockets of wealth, but also pockets of extreme poverty.

cnimativ

Ready to race!
Define "area". Your street? Your neighborhood? Your suburb? Your city? Methinks you'd have a hard time defining "area" as anything larger than a neighborhood if you're implying that those within said "area" have an average annual income > 100k.

SF has pockets of wealth, but also pockets of extreme poverty.

City. And its not the uber wealthy Atherton or Woodside.

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
Bender + sideways 8; particularly rule #7.

And never discuss cost of living or income with someone from the Bay Area (either coast), the Tri-state area, or Orange Co, CA.

These folks have no conception of wealth or value, and tend to look down on people who have to work for a living (or work for a living and get an honest check.)