GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

328i vs MKVI

Regular Guy

When it comes to these chips what do you guys prefer in terms of company, ala APR or GIAC since those seem to be the two available in Edmonton.

P

plac

APR is the "biggest" which makes them generally the most popular. Revo and Giac are about even for 2nd/3rd.

loopless1

Ready to race!
My girlfriend has 2007 328i MT. My butt-dyno says the stock GTI and the 328i were pretty much on par. But after I got the Stg 1 APR tune the GTI would just waste it. The longer wheelbase of the 328i makes for a bit more comfortable on freeway ride, but overall the GTI feels as quiet. The DSG makes the MT in the 328i feel prehistoric - the clutch/gear combo in the 3 series is not great ( heavy clutch, heavy gear change)

loopless1

Ready to race!
What about a 330i? how does that compare to a chipped stage 1 gti?

It's all a bit confusing in the BMW world of naming. You used to be able to figure out the engine size from the name of the car...But a 2007+ 328i actually has the 3.0 liter engine - which I would imagine is essentially the same as what was in the 2006 330i...

It's really a bit hard to compare with the butt-dyno. The BMW has a smooth as silk 6 that just winds out beautifully like a turbine compared to the Stg 1 GTI which has this huge slug of mid-range torque. But just check the badge, if it says 335i not 330i you are in trouble...:)

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
It's all a bit confusing in the BMW world of naming. You used to be able to figure out the engine size from the name of the car...But a 2007+ 328i actually has the 3.0 liter engine - which I would imagine is essentially the same as what was in the 2006 330i...

It's really a bit hard to compare with the butt-dyno. The BMW has a smooth as silk 6 that just winds out beautifully like a turbine compared to the Stg 1 GTI which has this huge slug of mid-range torque. But just check the badge, if it says 335i not 330i you are in trouble...:)

The 328i and 328xi have 230 hp and replace 215-hp 325i models. The 335i and 335xi are turbocharged and have 300 hp; they replace 255-hp 330i models.

So I guess a 2006 330i would be a good match for a stage 1 gti. Don't know about torque figures though