GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI instead of GTI

mamock116

Ready to race!
I have 60k miles on my car with 50k of them using the Revo tune - no issues. I throw in some diesel kleen every 5k miles or so. I have the dpf but I have removed the flaps in the intake manifold (gained 1.4 mpg doing this). My average mpg on my work commute which includes stop in go traffic is 41mpg. I get 45 on long road trips cruising down the interstate.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
go on a forum with diesel owners in europe and they will all basically laugh at the instances of Americans on using additives....

Of course they will; but then their fuel quality blows ours away in comparison, and you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find an instance of failed HPFPs in Europe.

Don't use them if you don't want to; not trying to change your mind. But you cannot argue with simple facts. Bosch recommends diesel with a wear scar under 420 for proper HPFP life, and wear scar above 460 basically cuts the life of the Bosch HPFP in half. Us fuel regulation requires maximum wear scar of 520 on our diesel fuel.

Pretty simple to figure out...

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Well since you're going used I would make sure to get a kit from 2 micron to catch the HPFP once it explodes. The official quote for a HPFP repair is $8,000-11,000. Which is enormous compared to the cost of the car itself. With the kit all you need to replace is the pump $800.

VW has been good in covering failures though, for now.

Additives are hit and miss really, I used Diesel kleen for the last 58/60 tanks of fuel due to cost/ease of obtaining it vs Opti-lube. VW doesn't recommend additives. So this is entirely up to you...

MPG is also dependent on transmission choice if you get Manual expect +10% freeway and slightly worse city. Since you're doing mostly freeway I would opt for the manual, the DSG requires a $400 fluid service every 40k miles.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Of course they will; but then their fuel quality blows ours away in comparison,

myths be myths, most of their "better" fuel myths stem from the different octane systems they use vs the US/Canada. There are many places that have a simlar octane but LOWER quality fuel in terms of the gasoline. Their Diesel isn't automagicaly better everywhere either.

The quality varies greatly in both gasoline and Diesel.

SJorge3442

I was sold on the TDI until this HPFP. I did some research and I dont think I can live with knowing what could potentially happen if that goes. Does the 2 Motive kit do anything other than protect the fuel system from fragments when the pump goes? So if I have the kit and the pump goes, all I need to do is swap the pump?

STING

Ready to race!
I was sold on the TDI until this HPFP. I did some research and I dont think I can live with knowing what could potentially happen if that goes. Does the 2 Motive kit do anything other than protect the fuel system from fragments when the pump goes? So if I have the kit and the pump goes, all I need to do is swap the pump?
Yes mate. you would just have to change the pump.
It really must be a fuel issue with the quality of diesel available in the states.
Using an additive to lubricate the pump will probably prevent it happening.
Its not really heard of at all in Europe.
I have a TDI with 160,000 miles and I've never done anything other than the recommended services. And believe me I drive the shit out of it! :laugh:

SJorge3442

Yes mate. you would just have to change the pump.
It really must be a fuel issue with the quality of diesel available in the states.
Using an additive to lubricate the pump will probably prevent it happening.
Its not really heard of at all in Europe.
I have a TDI with 160,000 miles and I've never done anything other than the recommended services. And believe me I drive the shit out of it! :laugh:

I'm just nervous that since I am buying pre-owned, that the previous owner didnt take really good care of the car. If I could buy a TDI from a forum member I would in a heart beat. I guess I'm sold on the additive if it helps lower the risk.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
myths be myths, most of their "better" fuel myths stem from the different octane systems they use vs the US/Canada. There are many places that have a simlar octane but LOWER quality fuel in terms of the gasoline. Their Diesel isn't automagicaly better everywhere either.

The quality varies greatly in both gasoline and Diesel.

Not talking about gasoline at all, just diesel. And I apologize for being unclear, but I was talking about standards. Almost every European country has a standard of 460um wear scar for their diesel; while the US standard is still 520um.

Bosch recommends diesel with a wear scar under 420 for proper HPFP life, and wear scar above 460 basically cuts the life of the Bosch HPFP in half. US fuel regulation requires maximum wear scar of 520 on our diesel fuel.

And again, like I said and STING mentioned as well; you never hear of HPFP failures in Europe... ;)

SJorge3442

So is it safe to say, that running something such as opti-lube with every tank, paired with the Motive blockoff is the most proactive you can be to protect yourself? The more I see the TDI on the road, I just want one more. I may be switching jobs soon, due to my 100 mile round trip commute and I would be moving into the city. If that is the case, no new car for my. My b6 A4 will have to suffice. My commute to work would be a 5 block walk....

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't mess with block off plates... and additives are truly hit or miss no real evidence one way or another.

If you're picking up a used one I'd go for the newest car possible since the fuel pumps were updated a few times. 2012+ is best. Then I'd get a filter kit to catch the exploding pump if it ever goes and call it a day.