GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

(Optional) Theft Detterent Device

Justin501

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all,

New to these forums, picked up my 2011 GTI Autobahn on Monday in CSG and I am loving it. I decided on the 6MT and I am not looking back. I was going over paperwork and I noticed that the dealer put on a (Optional) Theft Deterrent Device at close to $1k. What is this? I really do not like having to pay this, but now since everything is signed and down I really don't think I will be getting that money back.

Anyway, what is this? Is this a physical thing on the car? Or is it just so if my car is stolen (God I hope it doesn't) that it is much harder to sell parts? I really have no idea what it does. I did a search and it came up with nothing.

Any help would be great.

And cheers to all of you.

JasonH

Ready to race!
It's nothing factory. I've seen dealers add LoJack before, it's probably that or a similar aftermarket system.

SilverGTIDave

Passed Driver's Ed
It's Lowjack, I had it on my paperwork for my first GTI. I would call them back and ensure they have scheduled the device install. The device installer should come to your house. If the financing is not complete you can have this written out of your contract and can get a dealer credit.

x_paradoxal_x

Ready to race!
Yeah when I was getting mine the dealer asked me about that, but I declined. He told me it was $250. It just seemed like a waste really, modern cars are difficult to steal unless you actually have the laser cut key. Plus, that's what insurance is for yeah?

Clempson13

Ready to race!
in SA you can install a flamethrower deterrent?

VIDEO

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Hello all,

New to these forums, picked up my 2011 GTI Autobahn on Monday in CSG and I am loving it. I decided on the 6MT and I am not looking back. I was going over paperwork and I noticed that the dealer put on a (Optional) Theft Deterrent Device at close to $1k. What is this? I really do not like having to pay this, but now since everything is signed and down I really don't think I will be getting that money back.

Anyway, what is this? Is this a physical thing on the car? Or is it just so if my car is stolen (God I hope it doesn't) that it is much harder to sell parts? I really have no idea what it does. I did a search and it came up with nothing.

Any help would be great.

And cheers to all of you.

Skip it. There is a reason they call them stealerships. Go with the APR tune and you can get additional anti-theft protection as part of the deal for free when they have a sale (which is happening right now).

BMW_to_MKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like they got one over on you. If you already signed, not much you can do. As someone mentioned, make sure it is/was actually installed. Otherwise that is fraud and you have the dealer by the balls.

Unfortunately, you really do have to pay attention to the fine print and ask questions about everything before you sign. I purchased my car from a very reputable dealer and even they were trying to tack on Wheel/Tire warranty and Protection package. In the end, the only thing I opted for was Gap insurance as it saved my ass on the last car I had.

Justin501

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I did sign. However, to my knowledge they did not install anything nor did they set up a date to install anything. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what I can do with the situation. I wanted to get as much information possible, so that I could be best prepared.

If anyone else has any tips or suggestions, please post!

Thanks!