GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring removal/install guide (pics

Pyotr

Ready to race!
Speaking from personal experience....

Watch your drive boots when pulling the hub out. you stand a chance at ripping them if you aren't careful. And those suck to replace.

DaveTheCanuck

Welp, thanks to this guide I'll be installing my rear springs this week. Looks like a piece of cake.

I've had the DSG springs sitting in my basement since last fall.

Might still bring it in to a shop to install the front springs afterwards, looks like a pain in the butt...

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the write up! How much torque did you use on the Strut Pinch bolt as well as the 3 strut bolts?

Caddyroo

Thanks for the write up! How much torque did you use on the Strut Pinch bolt as well as the 3 strut bolts?

+1.

I was thinking maybe before you undo them try to tighten then by using a higher torque setting each time and when it stops slipping then thats the magic number ?

marylandgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Woot was going to go looking for this glad someone dug it up. Upgrading the sturt mount and bearing, plus the LCA to the TT bushings when the DG springs go in.

Carphunter

I'm going to chime in... I'm working on doing the lift spring install on my Golf TDI.
I've done a mkiv beetle in the past and the rears just took time and profanity.
Did the rears yesterday... took at least 7 hrs. Included in this time.... wrecked a 21mm impact bit trying to remove the lower strut bolt... had to run around and find a better one. upper strut mounts on the passenger side are waay up there and tough to get in without a long extension. with the bigger springs, you need to work the jack around a bit to line the lower control arm back up.... lots of profanity.

I'm now attempting to do the fronts.... 5 hrs in, can't get the damn driver's side strut out. I was trying to do this without pulling the axle, like i've seen some other people have done....but from what I can see, it's the one thing impeding the strut from clearing the last 1/2 inch of strut clamp.

I'm trying to decide if i want to pull the axle bolts (assuming local dealership has the replacements), or if I'm going to reassemble and take it to the shop and let them do the fronts.

Carphunter

I understand that method now. Will consider it.

I did get mine apart after finally pulling the axle bolt.

I did a little test fiddling on the 13mm bolts at the top. I didn't realize those buggers were going to be so tight and are kind of a bear to get at with out fully removing the rain tray (from pics of seen on all the walkthroughs, they looked more exposed.)

I studied everything and decided to reassemble it all from there.

I'm going to put a bunch of thought into this and see if I want to give it another stab (hopefully with another pair of hands helping, or if I'm taking it to the shop.

Carphunter

i did get the driver's side new strut/spring in last night. did have to pull that axle. I don't have the clamp/hub fully on and reconnected... need a second pair of hands to help with that.

studied the axle more... it's not the sway bar on mine that blocks its movement... it has definitely bottomed out at the point where i can't get the hub off.

hoping the passenger side has more play. so i don't have to pull the axle bolt (because i've already tried, and haven't been able to break the bolt free :)