GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traction Control/Torque Limitation - Stock DSG software

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Currently running custom stratified stage 2. Ported stock turbo, forge wga, IE intake manifold... etc. Tune is aggressive. pushing 23psi

Also... powerflex alk, front control arm bushings and insert(which I think needs replacing... wheel hop has returned) + continental extremecontact sports 225/40r18

I made a thread a few weeks ago about rpm dips in my pulls. Consensus seemed to be TCU torque limiting.

When I do 3rd gear pulls for logs I consistently get traction control intervention right at peak torque/boost 3500+- rpm. This is accompanied by a rpm dip of a few hundred rpm. Also get a pretty harsh fuel cut and falls out of boost momentarily. Which I understand no load = less boost needed to produce torque basically.

I'm curious if this is how the TCU limits torque aggressively or if I'm actually getting wheelspin in the middle of a 3rd gear pull... which seems weird. This isn't hitting the kickdown and dropping the car into the powerband... it's a pull from 1800-2000rpm through redline. ESP kicks in same spot every pull. Can the ecu/tcu induce wheelspin on purpose as a torque limiter is my real question(yes i know sounds crazy)....? or could it be a side effect of torque management

It only happens for a split second, doesn't feel like normal wheelspin or the car fighting for traction.

I'd assume turning off TC it would stop this if it's not actual wheelspin. But, I'm trying to figure out the cause or a technical understanding of what's happening.

I plan on testing with traction control off tomorrow. Will more than likely pickup APR or IE DSG software during black friday sale.

Included picture from Virtual dyno.... you can see the rpm dip / fuel cut. This is on 91 oct, can only imagine how it's gonna kick when I tune on E30

unsmoothed:

smoothed:

you can see the dip clearly on the unsmoothed pull

sorry for lengthy post or if my redundant question annoys anyone... just trying to figure out what's going on

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm pretty sure your 'dips' are losing traction. Do you get any flashing lights on the dash? I do. It's real easy to break the tires loose, and the nannies intervene right away. If you're getting wheel hop, that's also breaking traction.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I'm pretty sure your 'dips' are losing traction. Do you get any flashing lights on the dash? I do. It's real easy to break the tires loose, and the nannies intervene right away. If you're getting wheel hop, that's also breaking traction.

Light flashes most of the time. Every couple pulls it happens, no light.

I agree I figure it's wheelspin, but it's literally only for a split second at peak torque.

I've gotten rpm dips w/o tires breaking loose or light coming on, logged it a few times.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
just did 2 pulls back to back. same stretch of road as original pulls traction control off.... nearly same conditions as last night

Numbers are erroneous compared to when having traction control enabled... guess I'm riding the line of traction/wheelspin from 3k-5k rpm. Wheelspin throws Vdyno off

got a dip in rpm on the second pull

tires didn't seem to loose grip, can feel significant torque steer though. looking at the logs it went from 4800 ---> 4200 and picked up again. No fuel cut or boost lost though, but I did have traction control off.

zrickety

The Fixer
Have you talked to Stratified? I think you're spiking at 4800 rpm when the tires slip, then it drops to 4200 when they grab again. You might not necessarily feel the slip, though it could manifest as torque steer. I'm purely speculating. Does it happen if you're less than WOT?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Have you talked to Stratified? I think you're spiking at 4800 rpm when the tires slip, then it drops to 4200 when they grab again. You might not necessarily feel the slip, though it could manifest as torque steer. I'm purely speculating. Does it happen if you're less than WOT?

By spiking you mean? I'm past boost peak boost/torque at that point. I overlooked the dip in boost when I looked at the logs the first time. Much smaller than before.

It's wheelspin... did a couple more pulls... traction control kicked in multiple times from 3k-5k.

https://datazap.me/u/dallasdub/3rd-gear-pull-v23-rpm-dip?log=0&data=6-27

Doesn't happen specifically at 4800 every pull or every pull for that matter. I'll email stratified, gonna be a while. Need to get DSG tune and put new DV on before finalizing tune.

Last edited: