GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
If you have a problem, I'd suggest emailing our support team at support@goapr.com.

For what it's worth, recently our support team emailed every single customer reporting any sort of issues and asked them to try a new beta update. Only 2 customers responded, and neither of them ever flashed the file. Needless to say, we have nothing to flx / release / etc if we can't get confirmation anything has changed.

I don’t remember seeing that email, but to be fair I’m not sure which email account I used when I originally had it flashed like 6 years ago. That being said, I got a stage II update back in August (was running the original stage II flash) and it has been waaaayyyyy better. Flatter torque curve. Seems like a boost increase maybe? Either way, I’m definitely satisfied. Haven’t had any pulsating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
If you have a problem, I'd suggest emailing our support team at support@goapr.com.

For what it's worth, recently our support team emailed every single customer reporting any sort of issues and asked them to try a new beta update. Only 2 customers responded, and neither of them ever flashed the file. Needless to say, we have nothing to flx / release / etc if we can't get confirmation anything has changed.

I have sent an email regarding the issue.
I do a lot of driving at the moment i would be willing to test this out.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

What’s different about the beta tune?

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
I sent an email back on the 30th to the support team. I would like to help out by testing this. If you can expedite the process for me i would appreciate that.

Thank you Arin.

jhstl

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone know if this tune would work okay with an Integrated Engineering intake instead of an APR carabino? I'm looking for a little bit more noise, but not if it creates other problems. Thanks

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone know if this tune would work okay with an Integrated Engineering intake instead of an APR carabino? I'm looking for a little bit more noise, but not if it creates other problems. Thanks

Should work just fine.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Good to know. I will reach out to support and I'm willing to try anything at this point. My driveability issues have become so frustrating that I'm back to "stock mode" and things are much better, but not without issues, and I definitely miss the power.

Over the summer, I pulled the trigger on Stage 2 with the APR downpipe, and for the first week, the car was absolutely amazing. I wanted to do nothing more than drive the car. However, my excitement was tempered by the memory of poor adaption, because when I first flashed to the v2.4 tune, it was also great for several days and then became worse over time with driveability issues and inconsistent behavior. Sure enough after about ~7 days, the driveability issues and inconsistency returned.

tl;dr: Initial Stage 2 flash was amazing, adapted very poorly over time to the point of being undriveable, switched back to "stock" map, will reach out for beta software.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
I just received the Beta file last night. I will Update this forum every week with updates.
The first 100 miles have shown no issues.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I just received the Beta file last night. I will Update this forum every week with updates.
The first 100 miles have shown no issues.

Their tunes always run good after the initial install. I was blown away by how smooth 2.4 was after running on 2.0 for 6+ months or whatever it was. Until eventually 2.4 became too bad for me to deal with.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Their tunes always run good after the initial install. I was blown away by how smooth 2.4 was after running on 2.0 for 6+ months or whatever it was. Until eventually 2.4 became too bad for me to deal with.

I had a similar experience, Hopefully this is the fix it needed.
Time will tell and ill report my findings as i come across them.

I will say they were very good about the whole Beta file Process.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I had a similar experience, Hopefully this is the fix it needed.
Time will tell and ill report my findings as i come across them.

I will say they were very good about the whole Beta file Process.

Fingers crossed the adaptation problems are addressed. I sent an email to APR support on the 10th but haven't heard anything back other than the automated response.

edit: Pasting here the issues that I described in my support email, curious if your symptom cluster was similar.

The major issues that I have with the tune (and are not a problem on the "stock mode" map, nor were they a problem for the first several days after the tune was initially flashed) are generally:
- Rough behavior coming to, and leaving from, a stop, where the DSG feels overly grabby, like the engine doesn't respond as quickly as the DSG expects it to, which can lead to one or two rounds of the DSG grabbing hard, revs drop, DSG releases, then grabs again and eventually takes off, or when coming to a stop, the DSG seems to try to hold onto the clutches for too long and pulls the engine RPM excessively low with significant vibration
- Too much torque being reduced when a shift command is ordered (in M mode), especially at partial throttle, and shifts 1-2 and 2-3, causing an unexpected relative decceleration that can be nauseating to passengers, as well as occasional rough shifts (abrupt momentary decelleration) at WOT above 3500 RPM, where it feels like the motor reduces torque for longer than the DSG expects it to
- Especially at low speeds in second gear (first gear is pretty much unusably laggy), consistently noticeable and sometimes excessive delay between accelerator pedal inputs and engine response, especially from transitioning coasting to part-throttle, where in the extreme case a small accelerator pedal movement (then holding it at the same position), will go from hardly any acceleration to tire-squealing over the course of 1-2 seconds, usually resulting in way more power than I thought I was going to get. The delay is even present at manifold vacuum, so it's not just boost-related. However, reducing accelerator pedal input is immediately responsive, which makes it very hard to modulate the throttle to get the amount of torque I actually want.
- A strange "dead-spot" between 2700-4000 RPM in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear at between 10 and 0 in-Hg vacuum (according to my boost gauge), where torque feels like it drops off a little and a very growly/clattery/knock-y sound is continuously made by the engine, and pressing the accelerator further into 0-5 PSI boost at the same RPM cleans up the sound and there feels like a sudden step change of more torque. Oddly this does not seem to be an issue at highway speeds in gears 5 and 6.
- Most noticeably at highway speeds, a very repeatable boost "overshoot/hunting" when making an accelerator pedal step change to anywhere over around 5 psi of boost, where the boost will reach or overshoot the target, then drop below the target, then more slowly rise back up to the target, with what feels like a 0.5-1 second time constant, and sometimes oscillating two or three times before stabilizing, and this can be felt as well
- An occasional boost "fluttering" that sometimes occurs at 19+ psi (on my gauge at least) below about 3800 RPM
- At WOT between 2000 and 3000 RPM in gears 3 and up, lots of boost (15+ PSI) and very little torque to show for it
- DSG farts/burps when shifting are now very muted (when initially flashed they were very crisp and prominent, and they're more crisp now on the stock map than they were a few days ago on the tune map)