GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
Short Bus
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CW '10 GTI, 6MT
I had that kind of bucking at low RPMs in first gear for years. It was the kind of bucking you get when you let the revs drop too low in a manual transmission equipped car just before you killed the engine. With mine the problem was it would happen at just over 1000 RPMs, and the car refused to cruise smoothly in traffic at low speeds. It was like my foot said “I want this throttle position” and the throttle body was hunting for it by sharply opening and closing the throttle. I had to ride the clutch to smooth it out so the engine bucking didn’t transfer to the rest of the car. I also saw an odd combination of warning lights every now and then.

For me the effective fix was to extend the wiring harness leading to the throttle body and replace the plug. Smooth as silk at low RPMs now. I can’t believe I put up with that for years.

Last edited by Short Bus; 11-27-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #16
redubbed
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
As mentioned previously in this thread, there was/is a TSB for the earlier cars for the wiring. My car already has the updated wiring according to my dealer.

I have no code, stored or otherwise. I wish I did, this would be much easier.

To update: I replaced the throttle pedal & the issue persists. I performed a TBA after replacing the pedal.

It seems I'm (likely) chasing an air leak of some sort even though the car was check for vacuum leaks. Alex at Stratified has suggested the same.

I'll update with results. At this point I'm actually hoping I have a boost leak.
I'm planning a boost leak test as soon as possible.
redubbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #17
ebuuz
Autocross Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Any problems with idle? My car had a similar "bucking" on deceleration , turns out the fuel rail pressure was spiking/going haywire during that time. At idle it would shudder and struggle. I eventually got p0088/p0192/p2293 for fuel rail pressure too high. Just replaced my fuel pressure sensor but haven't tested enough but seems to have gone away for the time being. I used VAGCOM to scan my fuel rail pressure to rule out the HPFP going out. Good luck! Diagnosing and fixing intermittent problems are among the most annoying car things to deal with
2012 CW 6 speed. F23T on APR k04 v3.1, APR Carbonio, CTS turboback, Clutchnet 6 puck disc, 034 Street Density motor and transmission mounts, Hawk HPS 5.0, Motul RBF600, Newsouth boost gauge, DieselGeek SS

Dyno vid of my car
ebuuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #18
redubbed
Autocross Champion

I haven't tried that, but that's a good suggestion. I've been sending logs to Alex at Stratified, so I imagine he would have picked up on that.

I'm planning a boost leak test this weekend to rule that out. Still no codes to point me anywhere specific.

Moderately annoying...
Old 12-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #19
redubbed
Autocross Champion

Boost leak test was negative (no leaks).
I began experiencing worsening symptoms & random misfires while highway cruising.
Still no codes, but I experienced similar misfires in a previous vehicle (24V VR6) & the crank sensor was the culprit.
I replaced the sensor & the problem ďseemsĒ to be handled. I have a longer trip with the car tomorrow & Iíll know for sure.
In the meantime, I went back to the previous rev on my Stratified tune as the tune was/is likely not the issue.
I also cleaned my MAF sensor while it was out of the car.

Iíll update after I have some miles on the car. Hopefully Iíve solved it.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
eldiablo
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Hebridean Dance interior
still good?

My Journal
eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #21
redubbed
Autocross Champion

Still good! Sending some fresh logs to Stratified in case the failing sensor was messing things up somehow.