GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent white smoke during warm up

Drew8

You are correct if there is a slim coating of oil. However, if there is enough you can pour it out of the tube, then the seals are bad.

A slim coating comes from the pcv system. That system will not cause a puddle of oil to form so badly that it could be poured out.

When there is this much smoke, most often it is from more than just the pcv system.

It is a quick and easy check to pull that pipe and look.
From GTi's to TDi's to MB S550s to Ford 3.5 EcoBoosts. Any time I removed the charge piping ( especially at the lowest points of the system) there will be some oil that dribbles out. I'm no saying there's cups of fluid but deffinently a few drops or trickle. From my experience over the years working on automobiles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Drew8

I just dont want to give people the impression that a small amount of oil trickling out(less then a few ounces) of the charge piping when disconnected means that the turbo is guaranteed bad.

zrickety

The Fixer
2.5 quarts is a lot. You may have a couple issues. One being valve stem seals/guides (smoke at startup), the other being a bad injector.

torga

Autocross Champion
2.5 quarts is a lot. You may have a couple issues. One being valve stem seals/guides (smoke at startup), the other being a bad injector.
If it were stem seals, wouldn't the smoke be more blueish at startup?

Tonrogs

I just dont want to give people the impression that a small amount of oil trickling out(less then a few ounces) of the charge piping when disconnected means that the turbo is guaranteed bad.

I believe we are on the same page, but I guess I never clearly identified the amount. Basically, the entire dip in the pancake pipe full. So, a few tablespoons just in that spot.

When I pulled mine apart, which had the exact issues, the pancake pipe dip was completely full, then when I pulled the turbo muffler out, it is also filled up. From there the bottom of the intercooler was full and the charge pipe outlet side of the intercooler poured oil out as well.
This much oil was due to bad oil seals in my turbo. Again, exactly the issues the op is having.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
My car smokes, alot..I replaced turbo as I thought that could be the culprit and wanted to go ko4 anyway
Didnt fix the smoke, replaced pcv also as I didn't know if it had ever been done. Didnt fix it. Did a compression test and all cylinders were within 5psi so rings are good. Need to do a leak down test but at this point with 150k miles I'm going to buy a new used motor with 40k miles for $1500. I am pretty sure its valve guides,seats ect..would likely be cheaper to repair head/valves but since I'm doing the work would rather have a low milage motor. I burn a quart every 500 miles!

Drew8

I believe we are on the same page, but I guess I never clearly identified the amount. Basically, the entire dip in the pancake pipe full. So, a few tablespoons just in that spot.

When I pulled mine apart, which had the exact issues, the pancake pipe dip was completely full, then when I pulled the turbo muffler out, it is also filled up. From there the bottom of the intercooler was full and the charge pipe outlet side of the intercooler poured oil out as well.

This much oil was due to bad oil seals in my turbo. Again, exactly the issues the op is having.
We are definitely on the same page now!haha Wow that would be a excessive amount of oil.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
If the turbo seals were blown yes you would need a new one or overhaul of the old one but do some more diagnosing first. Many things can cause smoke out the exhaust

Tonrogs

Any ideas on why it would only smoke on idle?

I questioned that myself during my own diagnostic.
My only thought was that is when there is the largest vacuum within the system trying to "suck" the oil through the seals vs when in boost it is forcing air the opposite way which you will not see and your pcv system will do it's thing ... Or catch can. Whichever.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
My car smokes, alot..I replaced turbo as I thought that could be the culprit and wanted to go ko4 anyway
Didnt fix the smoke, replaced pcv also as I didn't know if it had ever been done. Didnt fix it. Did a compression test and all cylinders were within 5psi so rings are good. Need to do a leak down test but at this point with 150k miles I'm going to buy a new used motor with 40k miles for $1500. I am pretty sure its valve guides,seats ect..would likely be cheaper to repair head/valves but since I'm doing the work would rather have a low milage motor. I burn a quart every 500 miles!

Probably oil control rings. I've heard the pistons were designed poorly on early models and the drain back holes get coked up with carbon and the rings then get stuck in their grooves. You can have good compression with stuck oil rings it seems. If I swap motors in the future I will likely go with a 2015-2017 Tiguan engine with the best odds of having revised pistons/rings.