GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #29
OhioMK6
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allchokedup View Post
My car smokes, alot..I replaced turbo as I thought that could be the culprit and wanted to go ko4 anyway
Didnt fix the smoke, replaced pcv also as I didn't know if it had ever been done. Didnt fix it. Did a compression test and all cylinders were within 5psi so rings are good. Need to do a leak down test but at this point with 150k miles I'm going to buy a new used motor with 40k miles for $1500. I am pretty sure its valve guides,seats ect..would likely be cheaper to repair head/valves but since I'm doing the work would rather have a low milage motor. I burn a quart every 500 miles!
Probably oil control rings. I've heard the pistons were designed poorly on early models and the drain back holes get coked up with carbon and the rings then get stuck in their grooves. You can have good compression with stuck oil rings it seems. If I swap motors in the future I will likely go with a 2015-2017 Tiguan engine with the best odds of having revised pistons/rings.
Borg Warner K04 | Stratified Protune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #30
ThatQuietGuy
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 MKVI DSG STRATIFIED STAGE 2
Alright heard back from the guys at Metric Autosport.
Definitely the oil seals in the turbo.
ThatQuietGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #31
Allchokedup
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 ko4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMK6 View Post
Probably oil control rings. I've heard the pistons were designed poorly on early models and the drain back holes get coked up with carbon and the rings then get stuck in their grooves. You can have good compression with stuck oil rings it seems. If I swap motors in the future I will likely go with a 2015-2017 Tiguan engine with the best odds of having revised pistons/rings.
Thanks! Very well could be, seems to run great.
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote