GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 03-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
PhthaloType
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
Camber Woes

I got the alignment done after installing new shocks, struts, mounts, and subframe deadset kits.

I found out that the front camber is kinda jacked up:

Im 95% sure I installed the struts correctly, everything went back together according to spec. The car was driven about 10-15 miles between changing the struts and going to the shop, which included some hard turning, so everything should have settled in. Maybe the previous owner had an unreported accident? Who knows

The only thing they can do would be to adjust the subframe. The shop owner recommended I drive the car for a while, decide If i want to go that route, and if I go back within 30 days he wont charge me for an additional alignment.

Im afraid that if I do it, I'll just be entering a repeating cycle of the subframe shifting around on its own and then having to get it re-aligned. I mean, the whole reason I installed the deadset kit was because the subframe WAS shifting around on its own. Plus it would suck to have to toss it out right after I bought it. But, that's probably gonna be a necessary evil to have decent alignment.

Thoughts?

(BTW, I know camber plates are a thing, but for $500/set its out of the question.)p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }a:link { }
PhthaloType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
TimS
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
Camber plates have their own set of trade-offs anyway. SuperPro ball joints give camber adjustment, but they're also $250+.

Did anyone ever figure out if TT ball joints would work on our cars?
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
PhthaloType
Oval Champion

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just gonna have them adjust the subframe. I'm about to buy new tires, so I wanna make sure they have a nice, aligned car to go on. However, to mitigate future shifting, I'm gonna provide new stretch bolts and make sure they apply the proper torque (51 ft-lb + 90 deg)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
PhthaloType
Oval Champion

When I went back to the shop today, we found that the camber improved on its own. I didn't get a printout this time, but I remember that the left side was down to -1.2 (max spec), and the right side was back into negative numbers, somewhere around min spec. Toe was off, but that's an easy fix of course.

I guess that helps answer the question of whether or not new shock absorbers need a lot of time to settle. I knew there was some settling involved, but I never would have thought it'd be THAT dramatic (a whole degree of camber after 90 miles).

The new plan is to go back after 500 miles, after it's thoroughly settled, and align as necessary.

I'm just so happy that my frame is straight and my car's not bent up after all! AND I got my ticket dismissed. AND I ordered new tires. What a day...
Old 03-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
riceburner
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Interesting story! Certainly odd
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
torga
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '11 GTI - 6MT - 2dr
I hope they're done settling, in that case! Nothing feels better than fresh suspension hardware and new tires.
Well, I guess a new car would
torga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
zef
FIA World Rally Car Champion

I had front camber issues as well but mine never went away. Then again my car was hit on the passenger side which likely caused the issue. Was able to fix with the super pro ball joints, but since I need more camber I'll be going up to camber plates. Glad your issue resolved itself!