GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Armrest insert question..

Dancunn

if anyone is still reading this, i have a mk6 golf (from 2010) that came with no armrest at all. i bought what i think is a mk5 armrest with the big L shaped storage compartment and 3.5mm jack inside used off ebay. it fit pretty well, almost perfectly. i say 'almost' because there is a slight gap between it and where it should meet up with the rest of the center console, but not sure if that is because of an actual issue with how everything should fit, or just my installation. anthracite color matched my titan black interior close enough that i cant tell a difference. didnt require removing or replacing anything forward of the e-brake. the armrest has airvents in the back, but my car has no duct there, so they arent functional. i can provide pics or links to what i bought if anyone wants.

A@ron

Passed Driver's Ed
It fits snug, so it sort of clips in. It doesn't rattle if that's what you're worried about. I also got the RCD 330+ which is why I did it.. Works very well.. You won't regret it..

Perfect. Was worried it might rattle around. Thanks for confirming!

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Perfect. Was worried it might rattle around. Thanks for confirming!

The box itself won't but can't promise it's contents won't.;)

A@ron

Passed Driver's Ed
The box itself won't but can't promise it's contents won't.;)

Took your advice and ordered one. Should arrive today.

Forgot how big of a pain in the a$$ the MDI removal was... Hadn’t done that since I installed my Euro Cupholder. A cut up credit card wasn’t rigid enough, but I had 2 metal collar stays that worked great.

Maybe this will help someone in the future... Using metal collar stays, insert the pointy ends in, slightly angled to the outsides. They should wedge the metal clips and the MDI pops out easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Took your advice and ordered one. Should arrive today.

Forgot how big of a pain in the a$$ the MDI removal was... Hadn’t done that since I installed my Euro Cupholder. A cut up credit card wasn’t rigid enough, but I had 2 metal collar stays that worked great.

Maybe this will help someone in the future... Using metal collar stays, insert the pointy ends in, slightly angled to the outsides. They should wedge the metal clips and the MDI pops out easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am preparing to have euro cupholder installed on my GTI. Probably after Christmas or something. Your pic/info would help A LOT. Thank you :thumbup:

Tommo279

Hi Mr. Wrong. I've been looking for a while now for a box to replace the MDI box which is now redundant because I have a new head unit. I saw your Ebay link and photos and was over the moon. Clicked on the link, it took me to Ebay but it tells me the page is missing. Do they still sell it or is it just that the page has changed. If you know the new link for this box can you pass it on please. You'd make my year which is probably the amount of time I've been searching for this exact item.

Many thanks, Alan.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Hi Mr. Wrong. I've been looking for a while now for a box to replace the MDI box which is now redundant because I have a new head unit. I saw your Ebay link and photos and was over the moon. Clicked on the link, it took me to Ebay but it tells me the page is missing. Do they still sell it or is it just that the page has changed. If you know the new link for this box can you pass it on please. You'd make my year which is probably the amount of time I've been searching for this exact item.

Many thanks, Alan.
If your interested in replacing the armrest completely with one with a bigger cubby look at my build link as it has the various parts you would need. otherwise I believe most people have had success with a single din insert with minor modifications needed.

Tommo279

If your interested in replacing the armrest completely with one with a bigger cubby look at my build link as it has the various parts you would need. otherwise I believe most people have had success with a single din insert with minor modifications needed.
Thanks NewGuy1 for getting back to me. Your GTI looks bang on. Plenty of time and money spent but well worth it. You mentioned you changed the MDI for bigger storage. That is exactly what I want to do. It doesn't mention exactly what you did or what you used. I would be happy with just a single DIN replacement but can't get my hands on one. I would also be interested to know if you changed the the whole under arm bucket for a bigger one. If you have info. on both I'd be very grateful. Tommo (Alan).

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Thanks NewGuy1 for getting back to me. Your GTI looks bang on. Plenty of time and money spent but well worth it. You mentioned you changed the MDI for bigger storage. That is exactly what I want to do. It doesn't mention exactly what you did or what you used. I would be happy with just a single DIN replacement but can't get my hands on one. I would also be interested to know if you changed the the whole under arm bucket for a bigger one. If you have info. on both I'd be very grateful. Tommo (Alan).
Hey Tommo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Single...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Ships from china but you may be able to find something comparable on ebay.co.uk (assumption made on your location name that you're a Brit)

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Whole bucket replaced:

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/newguys-dsg-csg-2011-gti.311259/page-2

Third post shows pictures of what was replaced. Few posts down give you the model numbers for the cubby and air vent thats needed as well. Its a more involved and pricey process for sure compared to the single din but not a hard one and I at least think its worth it.