GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on lowering/springs

Meegis

Ready to race!
I don't know if too many of the GTA guys have Eibach springs. It seems to be mostly DG springs, or H&R.

Have you tried the suspension section on the forum?

I have H&R on my gti, but have had Eibach when I had my first S4. Both will do just fine for most real-life driving. The drop is what should be the target influence of the purchase.

Dubpower786

Ready to race!
Im on VWRs for the past 15k miles and have no issues with my oem struts. The drop is decent, slightly lower than DG. However the ride is firmer but not intolerable.

Problem is APR is no longer carrying VWR so a bit tough to find. Great springs but from what I hear so is DG. It all depends on what you looking for from the springs. Lower usually means stiffer ride but some are ok with that. If you have forum members near you on different spring setups, try to get a ride with them to get an idea. Good luck

Last edited:

DowneyTDI

Ready to race!
"The best" is very subjective. They're certainly not the best for me because they didn't drop the car enough. I was someone willing to give up a bit of ride comfort for a lower drop. You can see pictures of my car here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73776

You can see they are lower than the DG Springs

Your point is well noted. A more accurate statement would be that the DG & VWRs tend work best in regards to ride quality on stock dampers. If you want to go really low though then DGs aren't for you. The VWRs give a really nice drop though IMO.

NecioVato

Ready to race!
Im on VWRs for the past 15k miles and have no issues with my oem struts. The drop is decent, slightly lower than DG. However the ride is firmer but not intolerable.

Problem is APR is no longer carrying VWR so a bit tough to find. Great springs but from what I hear so is DG. It all depends on what you looking for from the springs. Lower usually means stiffer ride but some are ok with that. If you have forum members near you on different spring setups, try to get a ride with them to get an idea. Good luck

Question for you Dubpower786 - how many miles did you have when you first installed the VWR springs? Reason why I ask (and not trying to hijack the thread but might be relevant to the OP) is I have 58k miles on my current ride and I'm trying to figure out if I should just go ahead and replace out the shocks/struts while I'm there. Right now, you can get some Koni Yellows for under $500 from ECS since they are running a sale and Keffin VW is offering DG Springs at a 25% discount as well. This makes BOTH of those really appealing bc of the cost. Granted I want VWR Springs hence why I'm asking you about them :)

Boner

Passed Driver's Ed
I have Eibach springs lowering springs purchased and installed at H2sport in Georgetown . Got rid of most of the gap while leaving my kidneys in good shape . 2012 2dr GTI DSG Stage 2 APR all installs done at H2sports no issues .

Dubpower786

Ready to race!
Question for you Dubpower786 - how many miles did you have when you first installed the VWR springs? Reason why I ask (and not trying to hijack the thread but might be relevant to the OP) is I have 58k miles on my current ride and I'm trying to figure out if I should just go ahead and replace out the shocks/struts while I'm there. Right now, you can get some Koni Yellows for under $500 from ECS since they are running a sale and Keffin VW is offering DG Springs at a 25% discount as well. This makes BOTH of those really appealing bc of the cost. Granted I want VWR Springs hence why I'm asking you about them :)

i realize this is late but anyways, I had 10k or so on my my stock springs. You should probably have your installer have a look at your struts. It maybe a good idea to replace them but from what i hear the oem struts are designed to work well with DG Springs. Im at 26k now and so far the oem struts are holding out well with the VWRs.

FWIW If i could do it again I would have gone with DG's. Many guys on here swear that the ride comfort is the same as stock and some claim the ride is even better with them. If its your daily driver be sure to factor comfort in unless you don't mind a stiff ride.

animatrix

Ready to race!
I have Eibach springs lowering springs purchased and installed at H2sport in Georgetown . Got rid of most of the gap while leaving my kidneys in good shape . 2012 2dr GTI DSG Stage 2 APR all installs done at H2sports no issues .

Is this the Sportsline or pro-kit? How much did all this cost as I was considering this location too.

intanetfreak

Go Kart Champion
The Americans will have valid advice on everything but road conditions in the GTA

This is true.

DG springs for simplicity is my suggestion

intanetfreak

Go Kart Champion
Is this the Sportsline or pro-kit? How much did all this cost as I was considering this location too.

Don't know about shops in toronto but go in asking them for say $200 to install and see what they say? If you ask they'll charge you more typically.

Gigs

Sorry going to hijack the thread for a second. So what is the general consensus for the most comfortable springs on stock and the most comfortable coil system? I'll probably go full coil since I have almost 80 000 km on my car now anyway.

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
The consensus for a bit lower plus comfort is the DG springs.

As for coils, its tough to say. I have the HPA SHS coils, which are identical to the KW V1's from what I've been told.

I personally don't see too much difference in the ride to stock. Others will have a different opinion I'm sure.

Meegis

Ready to race!
will every aftermarket spring/shock combo be stiffer than just adding springs to the eom shocks?

Not totally true. You can buy OEM replacement, it will be MUCH more durable and better quality than stock, but feel 100% identical.

Coils you cannot, as typically they are purpose built.

animatrix

Ready to race!
Have anyone tried RPM automotive up in Vaughan? So far it's the cheapest price I can find. Kind of leaning towards Eibach pro kit as I don't need to be too low while still able to use OEM parts.