GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo Intake install first thoughts.

mophisto

Ready to race!
Hi Everyone. I've been lurking for a good 4 months, since I got my GTI - absorbing the collected knowledge of the forums. This is technically my 2nd post, but I thought I'd ignore that one.

I just finished my first non cosmetic mod to the GTI - CTS Turbo's Cold air intake. It seemed very popular on this form and over on Vortex and the price was right. After having gotten through some initial troubles I'm pretty pleased with it; but I'd like to point out a few things to be careful of, if your looking at picking this intake up.

It looks great and sounds pretty phenomenal but there are a few draw backs.
Firstly, CTS Turbo seems to have deemed the support bracket irrelevant in the newest revision - a mistake. This can be problematic as it will bounce on the break reservoir. This translates into a nasty vibration in the break pedal and eventual damage to the cap. On my second attempt I was sure to wiggle everything just right to provide a quarter inch gap between the two parts.

The second big issue I ran into were the clamps. While I'm hesitant to bash a product on my first post, these clamps are mediocre at best. slightly over torquing them will strip the ridge that the worm drive rides on. After a quick run to see what the intake sounded like and realizing that I needed to adjust my install I noticed that one of the clamps had failed completely. I grabbed a few new hose clamps from the local auto parts store and now all is well (if mismatched).

The final thing I wanted to mention is the PCV Valve pipe - I could not find an image of it anywhere when researching intakes. After seeing the one on the aFe I wanted to ensure a solid part. So, for inquiring minds - here is the PCV port - it's a good, welded part. No janky rubber grommets or too-big holes:

tl/dr:
It's a good intake - well worth the low price. Be careful of your install and ensure it's not smacking on the break reservoir and everything will be great.
For best results, apply better hose clamps as the ones provided are not really the best.

pix!

Last edited:

mophisto

Ready to race!
Indeed it should - and so it is.

Also, a huge thank you to Emmanuele_Design for the crazy fast shipping and awesome communication!