GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Turbo Hair-Dresser Girly Race Car//Miata Build

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Mods feel free to move this if you feel it's necessary. I figured this was the most appropriate place even though it is not strictly Golf centered.

So on 10/17/15 I picked up a sports car :p

So I got my new hair-dresser mobile. I bought it from a lad named Jon for $2450 out the door. It has 83K on the clock, and not a speck of rust on it. 1992 LSD but no other options. It has never seen winter. It needs some sweet sweet lovin' and I am willing to provide. Video series coming soon. Yes, the future holds Turbo power, external wastegates, mad skids, racekor shenanigans, and engine swaps. Stay tuned for the future vehicular nonsense.

Things that are gonna need doing:
-Body work
-Get paint up to spec
-Take out the POS 1.6L

Things that are on the way:
-Moss Miata Shifter Rebuild kit
-Full set of Poly bushings
-Flyin' Miata Master Cylinder Brace
-Big Brake Kit/Setup off a Sport NB.

Here's the Racekor...

Ewh ****ty soft-top \/ Whatever soft-tops are for the weak

Yeah... This is gonna take some time to fix. \/

Actually clean engine bae. \/ What's that tiny thing doing in there?

There's a lot of room in there for you know... turbo things

She's a dirty girl..

Step: 1 The clean car mod. Looks good as new.

Turbo Kitty says to V8 swap it.

But Turbo Doge says LFX swap :(

More to come.

Last edited:

steemax

Go Kart Champion
IN! Finally I'm not the only non VW in the member journal area lol.
This looks like it's going to be fun.

zrickety

The Fixer
Looks like a great deal. In for race car.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
IN! Finally I'm not the only non VW in the member journal area lol.
This looks like it's going to be fun.

Right? Like I was looking around for other builds except for VW's and couldn't find any. I thought the mods would kick me out of this sub-forum lol.

another miata! good choice! 1.6 too!

WOOT WOOT. Another Brotha! Unfortunately it won't be 1.6L for long :). Luckily though my Dad has a 1.6L too so I won't be saying good bye to those motors for good.

Looks like a great deal. In for race car.

As you should be. It was a good deal. In the rust belt a clean miata costs WAY over bluebook. Truth be told if I wanted too I could fix the soft-top, polish the paint, fix the rear quarter panel and probably sell it for a couple grand extra. BUT that would mean no race car so to hell with that idea!

Big brake kit came in today. It's damn close to the same size as the GTI's while weighing 1000 pounds less.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
i need one for a daily! cant wait for whats to come.

Yes. Yes you do :)

So what's wrong with the car. Well I made a list:
1. Shifter needs some love. It feels way too rubbery and imprecise.
2. Clearly there is a bit of body damage
3. The speaker has some corrosion.
4. The drivers side roll up window is a bit sticky
5. The soft-top's back window is destroyed.

I had a bit of time to get a start on things.

Here's the shifter rebuild from Moss Miata ($85). It uses all oem parts to make the shifter feel new again. I used upgraded Red Line synthetic gear fluid which made a big difference imo.

Install was fairly easy. Here's what I did:

1. Removed 2 Phillips screws

2. One in the center tray

3. Two in the center console

4. Unscrew shift knob

5. Just pull up and take off the center piece

6. 4 10mm bolts

7. 3 10mm bolts

Once its off you just reinstall the new hardware. It felt GREAT after the install. Felt just like new. More to come...

Last edited:

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Yes. Yes you do :)

So what's wrong with the car. Well I made a list:
1. Shifter needs some love. It feels way too rubbery and imprecise.
2. Clearly there is a bit of body damage
3. The speaker has some corrosion.
4. The drivers side roll up window is a bit sticky
5. The soft-top's back window is destroyed.

I had a bit of time to get a start on things.

Here's the shifter rebuild from Moss Miata ($85). It uses all oem parts to make the shifter feel new again. I used upgraded Red Line synthetic gear fluid which made a big difference imo.

Install was fairly easy. Here's what I did:

1. Removed 2 Phillips screws

2. One in the center tray

3. Two in the center console

4. Unscrew shift knob

5. Just pull up and take off the center piece

6. 4 10mm bolts

7. 3 10mm bolts

Once its off you just reinstall the new hardware. It felt GREAT after the install. Felt just like new. More to come...
This is also the first mod that I've done after I got the car. It feels great but I'm about to change the tranny fluid too. Just wondering how is it that you have MT but no LSD? lol I read that all MT comes with vlsd and AT with open diff....

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
This is also the first mod that I've done after I got the car. It feels great but I'm about to change the tranny fluid too. Just wondering how is it that you have MT but no LSD? lol I read that all MT comes with vlsd and AT with open diff....

As far as I have read it was a $250 option until 2003 in which you could only get it with packages. I did the old put car up on a lift and spin the wheels test. It appears to not have an LSD. Also It feels way different while getting sideways than our NA with LSD. I'll call up Mazda with my VIN and double check on Monday.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
As far as I have read it was a $250 option until 2003 in which you could only get it with packages. I did the old put car up on a lift and spin the wheels test. It appears to not have an LSD. Also It feels way different while getting sideways than our NA with LSD. I'll call up Mazda with my VIN and double check on Monday.

Did you lift up both wheels and put it in gear, then spin one wheels? Some say this is not the right way to check if your car has LSD or not. Other say that just try to drift the car lol. But I remember there is a thread on miata.net that tells you how to check if your car have LSD by checking the shape of the rear axle.

BTW here is my build ...
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89726

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Did you lift up both wheels and put it in gear, then spin one wheels? Some say this is not the right way to check if your car has LSD or not. Other say that just try to drift the car lol. But I remember there is a thread on miata.net that tells you how to check if your car have LSD by checking the shape of the rear axle.

BTW here is my build ...
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89726

Well that's the first thing that actually made me think about the LSD. I hooned around in it and it immediately felt like it did not have an LSD. I lifted the car and spun the wheel exactly like they said. I also don't think this is a good way of doing it either, but all things pointed to me not having an LSD. SO I called up Mazda and they ran my VIN. I do in fact have a Viscous LSD but it appears that they wear down and start to act like open diffs. Torsens do not wear down like that as far as I know so a torsen 1.8L diff will be put in soon. I just saw your build, interested to see what happens with our cars. It's funny that we bought them for such a similar price. You gonna swap to the 1.8L ever?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
turbo kitty is so right

93serprise

Ready to race!
Same turbo on my nx2000 :)

Sent from my magic time machine after inserting crystals.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Same turbo on my nx2000 :)

Sent from my magic time machine after inserting crystals.

Yep I can't wait. I figured Id go small for this season in hopes that I eventually blow up the 1.6L and then I can rationalize going to the 1.8. Also to learn how to tune on a low power setup etc. Only shooting for about 220whp.

Did this a while ago. After hours and hours and waxing and polishing. Looks MILES better.

Here is the before/after. Left is before, right is after...