GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New noise I don't like!?!?

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Hey y'all, been a while since I've had time to get on here. However, my TDI is making a strange noise that I think is the throwout bearing. You can hear the weird, almost ceramic noise over the idle in the beginning. I rev it once or twice, then I press in the clutch and you can hear the noise vanish. This is why I think it's the throwout bearing. Take a listen and if you have experience with this, please tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t8bmR23Uk4

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
Hey y'all, been a while since I've had time to get on here. However, my TDI is making a strange noise that I think is the throwout bearing. You can hear the weird, almost ceramic noise over the idle in the beginning. I rev it once or twice, then I press in the clutch and you can hear the noise vanish. This is why I think it's the throwout bearing. Take a listen and if you have experience with this, please tell.

Geez things sounds almost as bad as a diesel.

Oh wait...

jade eyed wolf

Ready to race!

It might be the throwout bearing, however, and I could be crazy in my thinking, if it were the throwout bearing, wouldn't the sound get worse when you pressed the pedal? I mean, when you're pressing the pedal, you're putting pressure on the springs for the pressure plate, right? That pressure would also be acting upon the throwout bearing. Wouldn't that exacerbate an issue with the bearing itself if there were something wrong with it? Like I said, it might still be the throwout bearing, I'm just thinking aloud (you know what I mean).

That said, seeing as how the problem goes away when you depress the pedal, this leads me to believe it could be a problem with either the clutch disc (are you getting any slip?) or perhaps something along the course of the input shaft (which could include the TB). Again, just thinking aloud.

It could also be part of the pressure plate rubbing against the bell housing just slightly. When you press the clutch pedal, you might be moving things just enough that it's no longer rubbing maybe.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Last edited:

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Seriously lol...

Lots of people wish their TDI sounded like a Cummins pickup

Me being one of these people. CR's just wont though by design. I also wished it rolled coal to ha!

It might be the throwout bearing, however, and I could be crazy in my thinking, if it were the throwout bearing, wouldn't the sound get worse when you pressed the pedal? I mean, when you're pressing the pedal, you're putting pressure on the springs for the pressure plate, right? That pressure would also be acting upon the throwout bearing. Wouldn't that exacerbate an issue with the bearing itself if there were something wrong with it? Like I said, it might still be the throwout bearing, I'm just thinking aloud (you know what I mean).

That said, seeing as how the problem goes away when you depress the pedal, this leads me to believe it could be a problem with either the clutch disc (are you getting any slip?) or perhaps something along the course of the input shaft (which could include the TB). Again, just thinking aloud.

It could also be part of the pressure plate rubbing against the bell housing just slightly. When you press the clutch pedal, you might be moving things just enough that it's no longer rubbing maybe.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

I've talked with my dad on the issue as well. I brought up the fact that it should do it when you press the clutch in like you said. Instead mine is opposite. He mentioned pilot bearing, for the input shaft like you said. Some research I did led to the dual mass flywheel. Idk, I'm taking it tomorrow to have a tech hear the noise at the dealer to get a better opinion. My dealer happens to actually be quite good where I'm at.

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
They speculated secondary vacuum leaks. No tech looked at it because I don't believe in paying money to speculate on what a problem is. I'll be getting my 40k done as soon as I get money for it, so hopefully I can figure it out. Also, lets hope its an issue covered by warranty!