GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alternator Malfunction!

VW Steve

Ready to race!
I was driving my Golf on a main street and I was waiting at a red light, when suddenly my engine turned off and the battery warning light came on. I started the car again and got it going alright, and I made it to my destination. I later checked the owner's manual and it said that when that happens, it's a sign of an alternator malfunction. How bad is this? What sort of repair or service can I expect? :confused:

VW Steve

Ready to race!
I got the car back today, and the same thing happened again. The alternator, the battery, and everything else had checked out fine. I think it must be the crankshaft sensor, based on what they told me it might be.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I got the car back today, and the same thing happened again. The alternator, the battery, and everything else had checked out fine. I think it must be the crankshaft sensor, based on what they told me it might be.

I don't know much about this specific alternator, but generally speaking, it is very common for a failing voltage regulator to cause intermittent issues and still test "good." Just keep that in mind if you're going in circles and still having issues.