GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

87 Octane okay to use?

m0j0jojo

Passed Driver's Ed
I drive a 2012 GTI and on the fuel cap I think it says recommended or minimum (Not sure which word it used exactly) 91 Octane fuel. So my question is, is it okay if I consistently fill it up with 87 instead of 91? 91 octane is a $1.50 here in Ontario :cry: so trying to save money where I can.

Thanks in advance

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
I drive a 2012 GTI and on the fuel cap I think it says recommended or minimum (Not sure which word it used exactly) 91 Octane fuel. So my question is, is it okay if I consistently fill it up with 87 instead of 91? 91 octane is a $1.50 here in Ontario :cry: so trying to save money where I can.

Thanks in advance

one word, NO.....

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
It will end up costing more in the end.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
This question is like poking a hornets' nest, but I'll just throw in my objective two cents. This is speaking for a stock motor:

-Filling up with 87 every now and then won't hurt anything. Probably shouldn't make it a habit, though. From what I remember reading it might cause excess gunk and deposits, which these engines already have issues with.

-Modern ECUs can adapt, it just retards timing (maybe lowers boost?) to compensate, so it's not gonna hurt anything short-term.

-By the numbers, it won't make as much power and will reduce efficiency, however:

-
When I've done it before, there was a negligible effect on MPG, and in everyday driving it didn't feel any slower. If somebody snuck in 87 without me knowing I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

-That being said, I still use premium (93 where I'm at) the vast majority of the time, and sometimes mid-grade (89) if I really need to stretch my money at that moment. VWs are really finicky, so if they say you need it, you're best off just doing it.

SJC

Ready to race!
55 litre tank
If completely empty
1.29 for reg.87 = 71.00
1.50 for 91 = 82.50
Just cut out one or two Starbucks, Harvey’s or Tim Hortons and drive your GTI knowing it’s getting fed the proper fuel.
IMO - you shouldn’t have bought a GTI if you can’t afford the proper fuel for it.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I understand the OP. Sometimes during the winter I may drop some 87 in there but inconsistently. Gas ⛽️ prices are tough. Be glad you're not in BC right now.

I do go Costco for my 91 though to save some dough. I think ts like every tenth or eleventh fill up it's free when I compare to Shell or Petro price. I'm mostly highway so I'm locked in on cruise control and avoid running ricer cars

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Gas prices do suck and one time I was cheap and ran 87 and my car felt like it had no power and ran like crap. Been putting 93 in it ever since and runs way better on it.

Dub_75

Ready to race!
Over time the effects will show. I suggest using premium gas as recommended by vw, but it's your car/ your risk, do what you want :iono:

cchase__

Ready to race!
I would think the ECU would compensate for the 87. Bringing down the power levels and such. Feels quite a bit slower when you use 87

Uberryan

Banned
It's fine to use. You will get shit mileage because it will use more fuel to create the same intensity combustion ratio. You're actually likely spend more. Besides, do the math for a whole tank of regular vs a whole tank of premium, the cost difference is typically $2-3. You're not exactly getting washed by feeding your car "expensive" gas.

As far as people telling you "NO!" or "YOU'LL BREAK SOMETHING"

Nah, knock sensor prevents that. If you used E85 without the lines and pump/tune for it, or diesel somehow, then yes, that would be true.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Besides, do the math for a whole tank of regular vs a whole tank of premium, the cost difference is typically $2-3.

Nah, knock sensor prevents that. If you used E85 without the lines and pump/tune for it, or diesel somehow, then yes, that would be true.

Except in Canada where at the pump out side of every kind of tax you can think of they stick us for Carbon tax too. They have yet to say What its gonna be used for.

And based on that article... if you dare to use 87 and drive Miss Daisy you could be ok... or not. You takes your chances. :23: