GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
ordered a replacement valve cover, turns out one of the bolts was sheared off and i somehow didnt notice. likely didnt check once i removed the OE plastic engine cover and never bothered to inspect all bolts. So that should be a weekend project. Also got the proper SAI filter from USP, as well as their billet oil filter housing for the next oil change.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I have seen a bunch of posts about them cracking. I saw a video yesterday on installing the IE intake. The guy had a cabonio he was replacing. His dealer tightened down the clamps and just destroyed it.
Aren't you supposed to use one of the torque wrenches that they use on the rubber plumbing couplings? That is the proper way to tighten clamps on composite pipes or even those Tour D'France type bikes.

The P-Flo as well as the IE Cold Air Intake are made of silicone, they simply don't get hot like the aluminum intakes like the AFE.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
You mean one of these?

Manditory if you own a carbon fiber bike.

Last edited:

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
For any of the GTA people here, I found a local-ish shop in Kitchener, ON, Park Auto Motorsports, who do custom tunes for 2.5L's. The guy quoted me $400 for a stage 1 with 25HP, 35TQ, improved throttle response, raised rev limiter and no top speed limit! Those numbers sound too good to be true, hopefully I can make it out there in the next few months when I'm tune-ready

Whats needed for this tune?

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
My engine light stays on for a week then turns off for maybe a day, then comes back on. Same code - map sensor barometric shit. And of course WV doesn't do any diagnostic work on weekends, only time I can go get this checked out. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to replace valve cover and map sensor and is VW the only place to get the ECU firmware updated? That's what I was told by service guy the last time I was there that needed to be done to fix the issue.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
This morning, drove down in the vintage P car today and picked up my Integrated Engineering V3 Dongle at my mailbox in Niagara Falls. FYI One Dongle can be used to Flash several cars.

We washes the years of grime off the Golf's engine tonight, first time since we got the car. We've been running without the under cover for years, it does not make the engine dirtier or affect cooling, as much as been said. The whole car now smells of Gunk Engine Bright, .... yuk gives me a freaking head ache. :( The car was stalling at 3K for a while since the knock sensor(s) got wet from the washing but after an hour things went back to normal.

Put togeather and installed a new cold air intake system featuring the Skunk2 Velocity Stack/Filter to replace the stock one after removing the P-Flo last week, ... well something has to go to help pay for the Tune.

The new intake aluminum piping gets really hot after a drive compared to the Silicone pipe used on the P-Flo, I guess that's why P-Flo and IE use silicone instead of aluminum.

Last edited:

Dartregor

Ready to race!
My engine light stays on for a week then turns off for maybe a day, then comes back on. Same code - map sensor barometric shit. And of course WV doesn't do any diagnostic work on weekends, only time I can go get this checked out. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to replace valve cover and map sensor and is VW the only place to get the ECU firmware updated? That's what I was told by service guy the last time I was there that needed to be done to fix the issue.

you can buy a new map sensor for pretty cheap. and you don't need a new valve cover but just the diaphragm for the pcv. once you take the engine cover off they are both practically right there in front of you. should only be like an hour to disassemble swap out and reassemble. your map code is most likely caused by oil on it like mine was in the following photos. so most likely you can just clean it and pop it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
It has been my experience no matter what I did (short of removing the stock pcv) I would end up with some oil in the intake and on the MAP sensor. Even the catch can allows some vapor into the intake manifold which eventially ended up on the MAP. I think driving style has a lot to do with it and that is why some people never have a CEL. If you drive like a little ol lady probably never have a problem. If you redline every shift then it will be a constant battle. My point is there is a high likelyhood your pcv is fine and this is just par for the course.

I have seen some setups route the stock pcv into the intake between the TB and air filter. That's the best spot I think.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
I already changed both MAP sensor and PCV diaphragm, CEL stayed off for a couple days but then came back on. I dont redline every gear but I get it up there (at least 3000k i shift), these cars are too slow to shift at a reasonable RPM. Just tired of looking at that light. My car still drives the same, no rough idle and it has not effected my gas millage. I get about 615KM to a tank all highway.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
I already changed both MAP sensor and PCV diaphragm, CEL stayed off for a couple days but then came back on. I dont redline every gear but I get it up there (at least 3000k i shift), these cars are too slow to shift at a reasonable RPM. Just tired of looking at that light. My car still drives the same, no rough idle and it has not effected my gas millage. I get about 615KM to a tank all highway.

Hmm may be something else then.

On another note. Now that i have time i got the chance to do a proper wash decon and sealant. Heres some pics of the decon doing its thing to the rust spots.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Nathan, I was at Don Valley VW arranging to take the Golf in, once I gave them the VIN they saw that our Golf was on the ABS Module Recall list. You should confirm with VW that your car require the software upgrade.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Nathan, I was at Don Valley VW arranging to take the Golf in, once I gave them the VIN they saw that our Golf was on the ABS Module Recall list. You should confirm with VW that your car require the software upgrade.

Ill have to do the same thing.