GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Thanks, gonna hit them up and see if they can give me a code for some savings, I guess I'll go with the Bosch plugs.

Is this something that a noob can do (like me) or should I take it somewhere to get them installed?

It honestly takes very minimal tools. To remove the engine cover its (forgive me im doing this from memory from 3 weeks ago) T25 & T30 allen screws. And then a pair of pliers to remove the air ducts. Then coils come out without tools, but a flat head can help with coil wire plug removal. Then you need a (5/8”?!????) deep well socket and an extension and wrench for the spark plugs.
They make specific ones that grab the spark plugs also but not needed per-say. Then i always but also not mandatory- nickel anti seize on the spark plug threads ( you’ll thank me later) and also dielectric grease on the tops of the spark plugs. Just tighten them down to german tight and you’re good. Reassemble. First timer with minimal mechanical knowledge should be able to do it in an hour tops tops 1.5 hours.

Anyone feel free to correct or add anything i missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Last night engine light flashed, scanned and said cylinder 4 misfire. Guess its time for spark plugs and coils. Question: Where is the best place to get em online? germanoem.ca has red top oem coils for 185 (set of 5) and boch plugs for 35 (set of 5) so all in with tax and shipping came out to 270. I see on usp website they sell a kit of red top coils and ngk plugs set of 5 each for 149.00 USD. Why so much cheaper than germanoem website?

Are these "red top coils" the r8 ones or are they just red?
Careful, not all red tops are original R8 coils.

I got my genuine R8 coils at Maple VW a few years ago, they had a sale on 4 R8 coils, I just bought an extra one from them to make a set of 5.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
It honestly takes very minimal tools. To remove the engine cover its (forgive me im doing this from memory from 3 weeks ago) T25 & T30 allen screws. And then a pair of pliers to remove the air ducts. Then coils come out without tools, but a flat head can help with coil wire plug removal. Then you need a (5/8”?!????) deep well socket and an extension and wrench for the spark plugs.
They make specific ones that grab the spark plugs also but not needed per-say. Then i always but also not mandatory- nickel anti seize on the spark plug threads ( you’ll thank me later) and also dielectric grease on the tops of the spark plugs. Just tighten them down to german tight and you’re good. Reassemble. First timer with minimal mechanical knowledge should be able to do it in an hour tops tops 1.5 hours.

Anyone feel free to correct or add anything i missed.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I should wait and see from what you said before about oil being on your coils. I dont want to spend the money on new coils and plugs if they are going to get covered in oil because of my valve cover. Probably just going to take it into VW and let them do a look at the car. Then they can tell me whats needed to fix it properly. Im guessing its going to cost me anywhere from 1000 and up :(

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear, three VW neighbors my area now using them and no problems, but been working great for me :happyanim:.

We just got back from cottage country in the rain and they make a world of difference.

I'm not cafe racer who cares how they look, just want something that works and don't have to break the freaking bank over headlights.

Do you know how the performance of these compare to the DeAutokey conversion kit? I like how the deAutokey has covers for a cleaner cutoff, but these Philips ones are half the price :D

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Do you know how the performance of these compare to the DeAutokey conversion kit? I like how the deAutokey has covers for a cleaner cutoff, but these Philips ones are half the price :D
I have no interest to compared. I've been using them and I like them alot and the price works for me. One of the neighbors using them is a Cop and he says there is no problem.

No body is flashing me, if they were I'd use an allen wrench to quickly adjust the height of the cut off, the adjuster is right there in plain view.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the info. I wonder if I should wait and see from what you said before about oil being on your coils. I dont want to spend the money on new coils and plugs if they are going to get covered in oil because of my valve cover. Probably just going to take it into VW and let them do a look at the car. Then they can tell me whats needed to fix it properly. Im guessing its going to cost me anywhere from 1000 and up :(
I though you were taking it to some radiator place to get it fixed.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
What type of socket do I need to buy to torque vw bolts? The one I use for my aftermarket rims won't fit on my friends mk5 rabbit and I'm helping him change his tires.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

FlowMK6

Ready to race!

I would seriously recommand to verify if the valve gasket cover doesn't leak, the first time I noticed that mine failed was when I was about to change the coilpack and the spark plugs, I saw a lot of oil in the hole. It doesn't take a lot of time to check it, remove engine cover, use a flat screw driver, pry the coilpack connector and while prying it, pull the connector off.

The coilpack migh be hard to remove, use a tie-wrap and put it around the coilpack so you could use it as a handle to pull it out easily ;)

What type of socket do I need to buy to torque vw bolts? The one I use for my aftermarket rims won't fit on my friends mk5 rabbit and I'm helping him change his tires.

A 11/16" long socket should do the job (that's what I use when I have the winter rim) for OEM wheel studs except if he got fancy aftermarket studs

Don't forget to torque the wheel to 88lb

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Yes 88lbs. It's just the regular vw bolts. Nothing fancy. They just have like a hexagon shape. Have to use the shitty thing that be puts in the hatch to take the bolts off. My X snapped tool won't work on his bolts.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Met up with Mark-MLue1 yesterday. Bought his P Flo CAI. Mark gave me a lot of great info on this car and platform. Mark was awesome enough to do the install for me as I am post elbow surgery.

Car feels great and staggering for sure how restricted the car was in hindsight with the stock set-up. The sound is addicting now!!

On the hunt for a Beetle engine cover now.

Cheers Mark!!

Last edited:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
I have no interest to compared. I've been using them and I like them alot and the price works for me. One of the neighbors using them is a Cop and he says there is no problem.

No body is flashing me, if they were I'd use an allen wrench to quickly adjust the height of the cut off, the adjuster is right there in plain view.

Thanks for the info! That Amazon link is OOS, but will keep an eye out for these if they come up

Phur

Autocross Champion

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Yes 88lbs. It's just the regular vw bolts. Nothing fancy. They just have like a hexagon shape. Have to use the shitty thing that be puts in the hatch to take the bolts off. My X snapped tool won't work on his bolts.

Yall lucky. When i picked up my golf its lug bolts were damn near siezed. 3/5 came out on every wheel ok but two on each the impact gun couldnt remove. Threw a breaker bar on and broke my 3/8 to 1/2 impact converter. Luckily i had asked my dad and he dug through his tool box and found me his 1/2 breaker and socket. He gave me a can of copper anti sieze that was designed for lug bolts from wurth to help prevent any future problems. Which if they are any problems i highly recommend.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Just saw that Integrated Engineering using a similar style air filter like my custom Velocity Stack/Filter on their new RS3/TTRS Cold Air Intake system, the 2.0T guys shoulda picked up on my queue and followed me but they don't know any better. Lol

Looks like they IE doing alot of stuff like Skunk2.
https://www.performancebyie.com/ie-rs3-ttrs-cold-air-intake

I'm going to build one of these RS3 CAI for our 2.0T Tiguan

:thumbup:

Attachments

• Skunk2 Intake(Small).jpg
    Skunk2 Intake(Small).jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited: