GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to say that justinjor just sold me his mirror setup since he is selling his car, and it worked great. Love having a homelink now and dimming mirror in one. Looks great and was really easy to hook up and install (even though he already did some of the work for me when I got it used). Anyone looking for Homelink needs to do this mod. Well worth it.

Last edited:

roadrage71

I just ordered one today, they put it back up on site since I was pestering them about it. They should be in stock in June/July due to parts issues related to tsunami in Japan. I can't wait, thanks for the detailed instructions jbcritch.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to say that jbcritch just sold me his mirror setup since he is selling his car, and it worked great. Love having a homelink now and dimming mirror in one. Looks great and was really easy to hook up and install (even though he already did some of the work for me when I got it used). Anyone looking for Homelink needs to do this mod. Well worth it.

No I didnt...

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion

chmod

Passed Driver's Ed
mine is hoarked

The installation went fine, thanks to the OP.

But my HomeLink device does one of two things - only - blinks rapidly green or is steady green. Seems to have a mind of its own.

It will not "retrain" via the outer two switches being held for ~ 20 seconds. It seems to be either full green or fast blink. Nothing else.

I called and spoke with HomeLink - they said get a new unit.

So, I got the shit unit. Being Friday I won't have any manner of reply until Monday.

Nice mirror, by the way. But it does nothing at this point.

chmod

chmod

Passed Driver's Ed
this saga has an ugly ending for me

Jeeze Louise...not good.

The vendor from whom I bought the mirror ( brandnewauto.com ) just punted me immediately to the mirror people (not the HomeLink) people. I had to call brandnewauto.com, by the way, as they did not reply to my email. He said "call the number in the box". Of course, stupid me, I'm looking at the receipt from the people I paid, and it says to contact brandnewauto.com.

The tech at this place (Mita or something close at 800 433 6486) told me it'll not work using the wires we are using. (???) He said the dome lights use pulse-width power and it won't work. He said the 10-5 lead HAD to go to battery. And the 10-6 had to go to switched.

He would not budge. He also said they never replace, only take the bad one back for diagnosis.

What a complete disappointment.

It blows my mind. I know of at least three of you guys who have done this. Yet mine is choking on the power. He said it is absolutely due to the way it is wired.

I'm pretty sure I'm removing this and returning to stock. Then I'm taking the mirror and throwing it into the SF Bay. Then I'll be fine.:happyanim:

chmod

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Chmod, this stinks! I'm very sorry to hear of your frustration. Post your other attempts to get it to work here.

I dont know why it would not work on the blue/red wire. Mine is still working just fine. The Mirror rep is just spouting company policy. If it required a direct link to hot/switched, why include the kit with the wires spices?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Sorry that guy is full of bs. The lights are a 12v source and I tested it with my meter and works just fine. My mirror works fine on that source. You have a defective mirror. Maybe call Gentex?

Jeeze Louise...not good.

The vendor from whom I bought the mirror ( brandnewauto.com ) just punted me immediately to the mirror people (not the HomeLink) people. I had to call brandnewauto.com, by the way, as they did not reply to my email. He said "call the number in the box". Of course, stupid me, I'm looking at the receipt from the people I paid, and it says to contact brandnewauto.com.

The tech at this place (Mita or something close at 800 433 6486) told me it'll not work using the wires we are using. (???) He said the dome lights use pulse-width power and it won't work. He said the 10-5 lead HAD to go to battery. And the 10-6 had to go to switched.

He would not budge. He also said they never replace, only take the bad one back for diagnosis.

What a complete disappointment.

It blows my mind. I know of at least three of you guys who have done this. Yet mine is choking on the power. He said it is absolutely due to the way it is wired.

I'm pretty sure I'm removing this and returning to stock. Then I'm taking the mirror and throwing it into the SF Bay. Then I'll be fine.:happyanim:

chmod

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
What I would do just to test it. Get two alligator clips. And attach the +12v wire from the mirror to the battery and the ground to the negative black of the battery. If it does the same issue there, no doubt a mirror issue. If not and it works, maybe a wiring issue on how you did it then.

chmod

Passed Driver's Ed
good advice

I plan to direct test it off of 12 volts and see what happens.

thanks

chmod

91Z28

Ready to race!
Got any shots with the lights on ?

EDIT: Nevermind i thought the buttons were illuminated...

Last edited: