GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

jspirate

Ready to race!
About 3 years ago I replaced the OEM 06H 905 115 coil packs as part of my efforts to figure out why I was having misfires with my k04 installation. It turned out that I had bogus valve springs.

Anyway, I've been running the 06H 905 115As for about 3 years without any problems. Notice there is a difference between the two part numbers. I don't know if the A's are better. I just know they have not failed on me in the past 3 years.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
My stock coil packs blew within 24 hours of going Stage 1. Dropped in the R8's and haven't had an issue since.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
What actually fails on the stock coilpacks? Does anybody know what the failure mode is?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Probably the transistor. It's what acts as the switch between the ecu trigger signal, 12v, and the coil itself. It's attached to the engine, and heat doesn't go well with electronics

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
Swapped to R8 coils and NGK BKR7EIX plugs about 15K miles ago with no issues while I was Stage 2.

Sent from my Apple III using Tapatalk

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
40k miles on mine since going K04 and I have had 0 issues.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I noticed that Its mostly non-tuned warranty void fear mongers that hate on the r8s.

indeed, you may be right. But definitely looks like the numbers don't lie....

40k miles on mine since going K04 and I have had 0 issues.

Yeah, I think I've had mine for about 15-20k miles with new sparkplugs put in at the same and no issues as well.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I am the "1" vote so far. They started out as a great product with my BKR7EIX plugs. I was first stage 2 with them and went K04. I had my K04 on the car and when I uninstalled the K04 and reflased back to stage 2 I had ridiculous amounts of misfires. Nothing changed other than a tune and turbo. I have been confused about that since then but I'm back on OEM coilpacks for now.

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
My car threw a code(not coil related) and had a couple of ruff starts even after pushing them down. I bought the R8 coil packs and have about 10k on them. No more ruff idle or starts. Actually considering how cold it was this winter the car was running great.

shortydh

Ready to race!
K04 with stock coils and they blew after 5k of k04 . Bought r8 coils no issues now

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Swapped in the R8s and the smaller gap laser platinum plugs from NGK shortly after K04 when I was getting misfires at higher revs. Cleared up misfires. Probably the plugs, can't tell since I did both together. No issues since.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Replaced them (along with new NGK platinum plugs) the day after going stage 1. No issues so far.