GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gauge Cluster Plastic

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
They scratch by just looking at them. The plastic is super soft and pretty they're impossible to not scratch.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Draz

Ready to race!

STING

Ready to race!
I'm actually going to try this. I found an eBay source for these things, but they're probably the same seller, as its still from China. For $10 i'll try these out. Thanks for the input/ idea!! :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Scratc...Protector-Cover-For-VW-Golf-Mk6-/291110208835

Your welcome mate.

What I found is they give the sunlight a different scratch free surface to reflect off so the swirl marks are hidden. I suppose it may depend on how badly scratched your cluster is to start with. silly cheap ass plastic :mad:

V_IE_ID_IR_A_IN

So did the covers hide the scratches? I had my cluster replaced for free by the dealer and the other day as I was cleaning the inside I accidentally got a corner of my microfiber across the left lens. I went and followed directions on using a plasma screen cleaner with a soft microfiber and that put more scratches in. Now I'm doomed once again lol it was wipe the plastic or look at dirt and spots...

Draz

Ready to race!
So did the covers hide the scratches? I had my cluster replaced for free by the dealer and the other day as I was cleaning the inside I accidentally got a corner of my microfiber across the left lens. I went and followed directions on using a plasma screen cleaner with a soft microfiber and that put more scratches in. Now I'm doomed once again lol it was wipe the plastic or look at dirt and spots...

I will be installing the cover soon and will take some before and after pictures and post them.

Draz

Ready to race!
So I installed the covers today and removed them an hour later :eek:. The covers do indeed 100% cover the up the scratches. BUT they scratch easier than the gauge cluster itself. It was also a PITA to install. I couldn't get it lined up without seeing the edge of the cover and even being careful, got bubbles in the cover that couldn't be squeezed out.

I tried using a hair dryer and heating up the cover to remove the bubbles and scratches but failed, so they wouldn't go away over time. I scratched the cover with my skin when trying to remove some bubbles after removing the second release liner. The product is priced reasonably, packaged well, and is simple to install, in theory. It also comes with a mini squeegee, a dust wipe, and sticky piece of plastic to remove dust or fingerprints from the back of the cover if you mess up.

I ended up applying some Meguair's Gold Glass liquid wax to the plastic and it covered a majority of the scratches and removed the hazing. I'm debating on ordering the covers and trying again, or getting some glaze and applying to the plastic, which should fill in more scratches and possibly all of them.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
^^ ohh, never thought of wax or glaze on these.. tough not to get it on the dark plastic bits and stain them but I may give this a whirl! Maybe Klassee Sealent on the lenses will help fill in the light scratches and also provide protection forever since it lasts 6 months on the outside of the car, lol.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I just used this one with very good results.

$12 shipped, from EBay
Left side with the original dust, right side with some dust removed.

Using just the cleaner # 1, the change is very tangible to the left, then using cleaner # 2 to right, is even better.
Note: No need yet in my case to use polisher # 3.

This is all you need to clean one side.

The kit comes with three soft paper napkins; all you need for one side is just a quarter of each surface.

I will try to use polisher # 3 in the door sill, let’s see how it goes. So far it is very cheap and good to clean these areas.:thumbsup:

Draz

Ready to race!
I just used this one with very good results.

$12 shipped, from EBay
Left side with the original dust, right side with some dust removed.

Using just the cleaner # 1, the change is very tangible to the left, then using cleaner # 2 to right, is even better.
Note: No need yet in my case to use polisher # 3.

This is all you need to clean one side.

The kit comes with three soft paper napkins; all you need for one side is just a quarter of each surface.

I will try to use polisher # 3 in the door sill, let’s see how it goes. So far it is very cheap and good to clean these areas.:thumbsup:

I got the same kit a year or two ago. The cleaner is good, but both polishes seem to do little to the scratches. I got some glaze and will apply it soon when I get the time.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Yup yup,very good stuff.I just applied 1& 2 my case no need for the third one: it is too aggressive for that thin layer of plastic.

K3RMIT

Passed Driver's Ed
I too was very cautious about cleaning the cluster, but eventually caused minor scratches as well. I used to clean them buy soaking a microfiber towel in optimum no rinse, then carefully wiping, but anything will scratch plastic this soft. So, I read through this, and maybe 20 or 30 other threads just like it (for all car manufacturers), so I would know all of the options. I first ordered some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze # 18, which supposedly helps to clean clear plastics. When that did nothing, I picked up Mirror Glaze # 10 and 17, for a 2-step polish. After applying these with a yellow-foam wax applicator (bad idea), I ended up causing serious swirls, so my search for a solution was even more important to me now. I found people recommending everything from Rain-x, to Brasso and Silvo metal polish, to toothpaste, and even some lemon pledge.

Well, I had some Zaino Z-14 plastic polish leftover from a few years ago, and decided to apply it with a microfiber towel, and use some elbow grease to work it in a bit. This removed the serious swirl marks, and left a very light hazy-streaking that still looked like a massive improvement from before. I followed this up with the Meguiar's # 10, which users claim removes this haze, and yes, this actually worked. I did let a bit of the # 10 liquid touch the grey plastic tube that houses the cluster, and it was instantly (and permanently) discolored, so be extremely careful if anyone tries this method. I do think that the material we use to touch the plastic is the biggest factor in causing scratches, so make sure not to use the cheapo microfiber towels, or the dreaded foam wax pad that I used earlier.

Good luck.