GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump failing + Timing cover seal leak at 50k miles

JSwag420

Ready to race!
My 6 year old GTI is out of the powertrain warranty even though I'm at 50k miles. I found out my water pump is leaking coolant and is on its way out. My timing cover upper seal and potentially my lower seal is leaking as well. It's spewing oil all down the engine, onto the turbo, on the DV, and onto the ground. Gotta love there's still no recall on the water pump.

For anyone who has had these issues, or both of these issues at the same time, what did it cost you to get them fixed at the dealer? My local shop quoted me at $2,200 after tax which is quite high. I'm hoping the dealer quote will be lower when it comes in today or Monday. What should I expect to pay for these two things including labor at the dealer? It really sucks that a car with only 50k miles is having such issues like this. Issues like these should be occurring at 100k and not at my mileage. Sucks to keep a car so well maintained and to have issues like this. Wouldn't be surprised if my timing chain blows up next (knock on wood).

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Sorry this is happening.

When the dealer or shop is replacing the timing cover gasket & seals make sure they check what version of tensioner you have. If it is not the most current one have it changed now since the cover will already be off to replace the gasket & seals.

I would also have the PVC checked to make sure it is OK. A failed one can cause oil leaks.

Good luck & let us know how this turns out.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Sorry this is happening.

When the dealer or shop is replacing the timing cover gasket & seals make sure they check what version of tensioner you have. If it is not the most current one have it changed now since the cover will already be off to replace the gasket & seals.

I would also have the PVC checked to make sure it is OK. A failed one can cause oil leaks.

Good luck & let us know how this turns out.

I asked them to check my tensioner while they're at it and they go "no, that requires taking more stuff apart". Noted that down so if I blows up I'll bring that up.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
If the timing cover is off they will be looking at the tensioner. Did the dealer tell you this? If it goes boom don't expect them to do anything.

You may need to find a more competent shop to do your work.

davemanh2o

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you check your VIN for the waterpump? There is a service recall out for them. Not sure if it covers all production years for the MK6 though. Just had mine replaced last week with the service recall and I have 138k on my GTI.

gdub09

Ready to race!
There's an inspection port on the cover, they can look at it, takes 2 seconds. If you're mechanical at all you can do the upper cover yourself. It's pretty easy to replace, as for the water pump, not hard if you know what you're doing. But yeah 2,200 seems high.

davemanh2o

Passed Driver's Ed
Water pump should be around 500-600 install and labor for doing a timing chain is around 700-800. Just replacing the seal and covers should be much less.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Did you check your VIN for the waterpump? There is a service recall out for them. Not sure if it covers all production years for the MK6 though. Just had mine replaced last week with the service recall and I have 138k on my GTI.

Yep, my vin on my 2012 wasn't part of the recall, yet mine still failed!

terryna

interesting thread, I also experienced the same problem