GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DKM stage 2 clutch kit review and install

anthmash

Passed Driver's Ed
Thought I'd just throw this up here, haven't seen too many reviews out there for the dkm clutch kits with the mk6 guys. This is my first product review and my experience installing the clutch and my impressions so far. Anyway, I purchased this clutch kit a while back. I got the stage 2 kit with a single mass flywheel, but finally got around to installing it yesterday. it was a actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, but that could be because I had a lift to work on the car and 3 extra guys help me muscle the transmission out lol

On to the good stuff.

Install:

Overall the kit is a very nice put together one. Its packaged very neatly and everything you need is included, including loctite, except for grease but that's a simple trip to the local parts store. As far as installing the new clutch, it was actually a breeze. It's pretty straight forward, but if there is something I would reccomend, just go ahead and remove both axles completely, it frees up a ton of space when taking the transmission out. It can be done with only removing the axles from the output flanges, but it's more of a struggle and it's only 2 extra bolts for alot more room. Also don't forget to remove those darn output flanges from the trans and diff side, they'll get hung up on the block when removing the trans as I found out the hard way. Removing the stock clutch was very easy, out it comes, and God damn is that thing heavy ! I actually didn't expect the stock flywheel to weigh as much as it did so I almost dropped it when I took it out lol. Just comparing the stock flywheel to the entire dkm assembly, the oem flywheel definitely weighs more than the entire dkm while it was still in the box with all the hardware and packaging. I was already impressed. For torquing down the flywheel I had an extra set of hands on the other side of the crank holding it steady, dont forget to clean the mating surface ! Once I had the entire assembly installed it was time to put the trans back in, but first it was time install the new trow out bearing, and since im there its not a bad idea to clean out the bell housing. We found it very easy to have the trans clocked 90° (so the rear of the tranny was facing down) while we raised it up, and then twist it and slide it onto the dowels. It probably took 45 seconds to have the trans lifted off the ground and seated back in place this way. Mind you there was 4 people lifting it up lol. Now reassembly is just the reverse of everything i just took apart. Once I had everything back together it was time to bleed the clutch. Dont be alarmed, the very first time you press the pedal there will be no pressure and it will go the the floor and not come back up, time to bleed it. Got some brake fluid handy, topped up the reservoir and cracked the bleeder open. I had to start pumping the clutch by hand since there was a ton of air in the lines at first. Once that's done it's time to take it for a drive! Total install time took me about 8-9 hours including stopping for lunch, taking a trip to the dealer to grab some tranny fluid, going to McDonalds to grab ice coffees, and bleeding the clutch.

Initial impressions:

The very first thing I noticed was the pedal, obviously. It's very heavy. I know this is like comparing apples to oranges but a buddy of mine had a boosted civic with a stage 4 clutch and he said this pedal feels heavier lol. This isn't a bad thing though the pedal should progressively get a bit softer as it breaks in. Took it on the first drive and right away it felt like the engagement point was alot closer to the floor then stock, which feels 10 times better. Not so much of an on/off switch but just closer engagement, and the clutch grabs alot faster. Definitely feels a bit springy too. Overall I'm liking it so far though. I did notice difference with the single mass flywheel in there too, it definitely revs up quicker and decels off throttle a bit quicker. Some of the rev hang is still there but for the most part I'd say it has drastically decreased. As far as clutch chatter goes, I can honestly say that it almost doesn't exist. Idling in the garage while sitting in the car with the windows down you can't hear it. If you step out of the car and bend down and really listen for it you might hear the faintest bit of it, but kudos to dkm for really making a silent clutch! I'm glad my car doesn't sound like a tdi. Even idling next to a wall I could barely hear anything and I was trying really hard to listen for it. When you turn the ac on however, you can hear it a bit, it's not really loud, but it is a bit of chatter, but again that's only with the ac on. So overall after driving with the dkm stage 2 for about 50kms I started to become used to this pedal feeling and so far I have about 175kms total drivin on this clutch. I'm opting for closer to a 1000km break in as I want this clutch to last for a long time.

Final thoughts:

Big kudos to dkm for making an awesome clutch kit ! Overall I love the way it drives, the way in engages, and the fact that it's a very quiet clutch !

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

rich_raquel

Passed Driver's Ed
Great review, thanks! I’ve got the RSR currently but am looking to upgrade to the DKM clutch with a SMF. What upgrades / numbers are you currently running? I’m wondering if the stage 2 DKM kit can handle stage e85 proflex tune or tte420 numbers.

anthmash

Passed Driver's Ed
Great review, thanks! I’ve got the RSR currently but am looking to upgrade to the DKM clutch with a SMF. What upgrades / numbers are you currently running? I’m wondering if the stage 2 DKM kit can handle stage e85 proflex tune or tte420 numbers.
I was stage 2 with full bolt ons at the time of this install with plans to go k04. Now i am k04 lol im running a ported k04 @ 26-28psi. The car was street tuned but i just got it on the dyno yesterday and it put down a stout 355hp and 395tq to the wheels and ive been beating the piss out of this car at this power level, clutch has been more than capable to handle it. When i build the motor and put a bigger turbo on it i will definitely be going back to dkm for the appropriate clutch!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk