GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A couple of questions for a noob :)

NecioVato

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Well I finally got a GTI and I have to admit, it's one of the most fun cars I have ever owned. I came from a G35 6MT Coupe and that car was awesome with the low end torque and the looks...well, it's sex on wheels if you ask me (matter of opinion of course) but after some hesitation, I got a 2010 GTI 6MT Autobahn package and I have NO buyer's remorse...love this car. It's fun to drive and I don't recall being able to zip around and of course the twisties are fun with this ride...yeah, I'm hooked and I love this car. So I do have a couple of questions about the radio (I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything or maybe I'm not searching properly)

1. I have an iPod and I notice that if I have blue tooth on for the phone and I connect it directly into the iPod connection for the iPod and leave my phone in the car, the next time I start it up, it won't play the music from my iPod. I have to reconnect the iPod connection for it to recognize it again, is this normal? I know my after market iPod connection on my G35 was like this so I was thinking this might just be a normal annoyance.

2. I have Pandora on my iPhone, it seems that when I connect to it then connect the iPod, if I skip a song through the wheel controls, it will go back to my iPod and not play Pandora....are the controls for Pandora very limited on the radio, is this normal? Have any of you guys been having issues with the iPod connector and using the iPod and or Pandora?

3. Does the connection affect the sound 'loudness' for lack of a better word? I mean, sometimes it seems that the sound will fade in and out with the connector vs using blue tooth to play music. Just wondering if this is normal or not.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thus far I love this car, It's definitely different than my last ride but it's a fun car and with the savings on tires and gas, puts a bigger smile on my face than when I darting in and out of traffic. My G couldn't TOUCH 25-26mpg unless it was ALL hwy driving and I didn't go above 70mph where as this car is darting from light to light and seems to be seeing 25-26mpg all day long...can't imagine what a road trip will give me. Again, glad I bought one and I hope you guys can answer some questions for a noob on the Dub scene.

Thanks in advance. If there are topics concerning this that I might have missed via the search feature - sorry to bring up another thread and if you can direct me to those threads, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

blackanova

Congested on the car. Is help you with the Ipod but I use the hard wire in the car for it. As far as Pandora, as long as I have the Bluetooth on on my phone the car will automatically recognize it once started. I always have to press the media button then BT. Hope that helps a bit.

fender177

Ready to race!
Not sure what is wrong with your iPod connection. I have my old iPhone plugged in in the center console, and it connects just fine each and every time. I use a separate phone with Bluetooth and the two don't seem to interfere.

Yup, if you use the radio controls to change the song while listening to pandora, it will start the iPod 'app' instead of changing the song. It's pretty annoying. I found a phone mount that slides into the cd slot. So when I play pandora, I just put my phone in the mount. Then you can use the phone to control pandora.

I do notice a little bit of a difference in volume between the different connections. I think the iPhone has a separate volume for Bluetooth though.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'll have to say I have the exact same gripes with my car also. So they are "normal"

NecioVato

Ready to race!
Thanks guys for all the input.

I went out to the ride last night and played around with the radio to see I could duplicate the issue I was having. From what I gather, it seems that it's the connector itself. If I leave it out connected to my phone, NO PROBLEMS what so ever, kind of works like how my after market one worked...and it doesn't fade in and out with the sound. Once I bend it a certain way (doesn't happen everytime), seems like I lose the connection and it defaults to the blue tooth or to the iPod.

In the end, I think I'm going to look into a SD Card and just load up tons of music, match it up with my iPod and then look to use the connector with my phone outside the middle console. After trying this this morning, it worked without any issues. Anyway, thanks again.

Playing around with the radio, I did come across one issue I was wondering about. When I hold down the 'unlock' button on my remote, it doesn't bring the windows down like I thought it would, is that just the case with 2 door GTIs or is there a setting that isn't allowing me to bring it down...maybe an issue with the controller? Again, thanks in advance for all the help on this. Again, LOVE the car...lots of fun and great gas mileage.

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
1. I have an iPod and I notice that if I have blue tooth on for the phone and I connect it directly into the iPod connection for the iPod and leave my phone in the car, the next time I start it up, it won't play the music from my iPod. I have to reconnect the iPod connection for it to recognize it again, is this normal? I know my after market iPod connection on my G35 was like this so I was thinking this might just be a normal annoyance.

Yeah that happens sometimes.

2. I have Pandora on my iPhone, it seems that when I connect to it then connect the iPod, if I skip a song through the wheel controls, it will go back to my iPod and not play Pandora....are the controls for Pandora very limited on the radio, is this normal? Have any of you guys been having issues with the iPod connector and using the iPod and or Pandora?

If you use Pandora via Bluetooth, you can use the steering wheel functions to skip songs.

3. Does the connection affect the sound 'loudness' for lack of a better word? I mean, sometimes it seems that the sound will fade in and out with the connector vs using blue tooth to play music. Just wondering if this is normal or not.

Yes, there are settings for sound for different connections in the sound settings panel. MFD is usually defaulted on Minimum and BT on Medium or Maximum I believe. You can change that.

s

See bold

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Congested on the car. Is help you with the Ipod but I use the hard wire in the car for it. As far as Pandora, as long as I have the Bluetooth on on my phone the car will automatically recognize it once started. I always have to press the media button then BT. Hope that helps a bit.

Lol

Mk6Chick1

Ready to race!

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the phone integration is something that needs work on the 2010s at least for sure. Been thinking about updating the module.

Nobody can hear me over the noise on their end on calls over highway road noise that apparently resonates right into the mic while the car itself seems quiet. Still have to dial with the phone, no display of who is calling, etc.

NecioVato

Ready to race!
Well it's definitely nice to know that it's a normal thing and not something that I should be concerned with. During my lunch, I'm just going to go grab a 8gb SD card and load it up with music and folders and what not. Should give me the best of worlds.

Just confirming, when using the blue tooth, you can't view the music information, it just shows up as BT Audio, anyway for the song titles to show up via blue tooth?

@jackgti
Thanks for the heads up on the Pandora player with the controls and what not. Man, that is definitely the route I'll go then with Blue Tooth and what not so I can use the steering controls instead of having to hit the player on the phone. NOT fun when driving - too distracting.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yes you can't see music info over BT. Unless you have a 2012+ with HD radio.

P

plac

If you use Pandora via Bluetooth, you can use the steering wheel functions to skip songs.

R U SIRIUS?!?! i never knew that.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

R U SIRIUS?!?! i never knew that.

No you can't... 2012+ only

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Well it's definitely nice to know that it's a normal thing and not something that I should be concerned with. During my lunch, I'm just going to go grab a 8gb SD card and load it up with music and folders and what not. Should give me the best of worlds.

Just confirming, when using the blue tooth, you can't view the music information, it just shows up as BT Audio, anyway for the song titles to show up via blue tooth?

@jackgti
Thanks for the heads up on the Pandora player with the controls and what not. Man, that is definitely the route I'll go then with Blue Tooth and what not so I can use the steering controls instead of having to hit the player on the phone. NOT fun when driving - too distracting.

I use a large SD card I leave in all the time. It accesses a bit faster than the MDI to iPhone which is nice. Just have to pull it and resend it once in a while for new tunes.