GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Wheel Sizes Actually Fit?

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
Just wondering what the biggest size tire/wheels will fit on a stock 2010 MkVI? like the widest 17's 18's 19's, biggest offset with out rolling fenders....etc im looking to go with 18's but if i can ft 19's, thatd be clutch! also if i end up droping it an inch or so what will be the remifications? All input will me appreciated..sorry for such a dumb question but id rather hear it from you guys who have done it than the tire company's

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
You can run 19's with ease. One guy is running 20's. Tire size is key: with 18's you run 40 series tires, 19's 35 series. This helps maintain the overall diameter of the wheel. There are too many variables to list what max size wheels are due to widths, offsets etc. Plus, fitment means different things to different people. Also, what is your goal, show or go?

Its usually best to find wheels you like then post up the specs if you're unsure of fitment.

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
18x8.5 ET45 225/40/18 tire
19x8.5 ET45 225/35/19 tire

Those specs will give you a very flush fitment and no rubbing on a stock or slightly lowered car.

19s are very easy to do. I run 19s on my Mk5 and wouldn't have it any other way. :)

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
You can run 19's with ease. One guy is running 20's. Tire size is key: with 18's you run 40 series tires, 19's 35 series. This helps maintain the overall diameter of the wheel. There are too many variables to list what max size wheels are due to widths, offsets etc. Plus, fitment means different things to different people. Also, what is your goal, show or go?

Its usually best to find wheels you like then post up the specs if you're unsure of fitment.

al little of both i know ill want to lower it a tad and a nice low clean look, but i want it to handle decent, i was looking for a look like the jetta had on the averde 18" wheel thread(cant figure out how to add pictures on here lol) but the lip of the rim and tire stick out a little out from the wheel well...i think it just looks amazing, wanting to go down n out! a wheel with a nice lip like the tsw snetterton's i think would look phenomenal.

Last edited:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Remember too that size usually adds weight that impacts handling.

To add a picture, copy the URL and click the "insert image" icon (yellow square with mountians) and paste your URL inbetween the two [*img] that appear.

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
18x8.5 ET45 225/40/18 tire
19x8.5 ET45 225/35/19 tire

Those specs will give you a very flush fitment and no rubbing on a stock or slightly lowered car.

19s are very easy to do. I run 19s on my Mk5 and wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Sorry, Im not too knowledgeable about tires what exactly is ET?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
ET is referring to the wheel offset.

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
Im think 18's how light are the avant's? and are yours flush? or stick out a little...i just like the look of a wheel sticking out from the wheel well a tad..if i want tht is it better to use wheel spacers or just get a rim that will do it?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
My wheels are a lil less than flush in the front, have slight poke in the rear. At appx 23lbs, they're heavy but weigh less than the stock Detroits.

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
The 18x8 ET45 M310 wheel will be SLIGHTLY recessed in the fenders. This is actually preferred if you plan on lowering your car since you won't rub. Just to put it into perspective, an 18x8.5 ET45 is perfectly flush and you'll rub on anything lower than 1.5".

We have the gunmetal with machined faces in stock as well as full matte black. If you need pricing, send us a PM!

ksing44

Ready to race!
I don't think 18" x 8.5" ET45 are flush in the front or the back, but certainly lots of folks run them. I think the issue may be that you can run wheels that poke, and simply adjust the tires, say with some stretch. It also varies depending on how low you go. It really is hard to get a straight answer. For me, I do not want poke. I also don't want to run spacers, so the front an back will be different. 18" x 8" ET45 should be pretty good, or at least better. Personally, I am going 17" x 7.5" ET47. I am also, planning to run a slightly taller tire.

Here are some photos of the famous snowflakes that are 18" x 8.5" ET45. Sans tires and photographed straight down from above, these are the best photos I have ever seen to show the concept. Clearly, they are not flush!

from this link
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5075189-snowflake-owners...

Front

Rear

I have read and seen many photos indicating 18" x 8" ET41 are flush in the rear, but my poke just a bit in the front.

Lots of info and more links here
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5083019-Interlagos!

Last edited:

mk6GTIvenom

Ready to race!
The 18x8 ET45 M310 wheel will be SLIGHTLY recessed in the fenders. This is actually preferred if you plan on lowering your car since you won't rub. Just to put it into perspective, an 18x8.5 ET45 is perfectly flush and you'll rub on anything lower than 1.5".

We have the gunmetal with machined faces in stock as well as full matte black. If you need pricing, send us a PM!

How about 18x8 Et45 with Eibach Sportlines. Do you think it will rub? Thanks

ksing44

Ready to race!
This chart by "RedRabidRabbit" seems to have all the fitments covered, as far as rubbing goes. It looks very reasonable to me based on what I have seen posted by others. It really is a well done comprehensive list.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
To speak to the orignal thread question about wheels sizes and lowering cars "slightly" I wanted to share my experience.

I did thorough research into my combination of wheels, tires, and suspension setup to ensure I wouldn't have clearance issues (rubbing).

Well, after hearing people give testimony after testimony (even seeing that same chart above posted over and over again in different threads, even on different forums), I purposefully chose the least aggressive/least evasive setup to ensure I did not push the limits.

The choice: 18x8 ET45 w/225/40 Michelin PS2s + Neuspeed Sport Spring + Koni FSD shocks.

The result: RUBBING!

The reason: IMHO, people talk about rubbing without including the limits of suspension travel. So, if you have large load (several passengers or what have you) or if push the car into a corner at a spirited pace/level, you may or may not rub.

As for me...

The Neuspeed Sport springs advertise a 1" drop when in reality it is closer to 1.25", but this is really the norm for any aftermarket spring. Sure, I acknowledge, you can find spring that go lower or very rarely some that do not go as low.

What I did to cure the rub... used blue painters tape (color not important).

The painters tape is easy to apply and easy to remove with a non-aggressive adhesive.

Anyway, I put painters tape at all four corners (around the lip of the wheel well) and found my nearest round-a-bout to check clearance closer to the suspension travel limits.

What I found was the rubbing only occured in the front and at the top center, where the wheel well liner fastener is located. This is one of five fasteners that hold the wheel well liner in place.

The cure: Remove the top fastener and voila! No more rubbing.

So, my point?

Realize that no matter how certain someone is or how convincing they might sound on a particular mod subject, be careful in your choice and ask many questions to ensure all your bases are covered.

Back to the original question, wheels sizes for slightly lowered cars.

From my experience, I would not go any more than 18x8 ET45 if you plan to "slightly" lower your car. For reference, the stock detroits are 18x7.5 ET51, which means they are 12.35 mm or about 1/2" further tucked into the wheel well. Or, from the other perspective, the OZ wheels I chose are pushed out about 1/2" further (toward the fender lip) than the stock wheels. And 1/2" is a lot when it comes to wheel/suspension geometry in the wheel well. Those that are running 18x8.5 ET45 are another 6.35mm or 1/4" further out (50% more than my OZ wheels!). I think you see my point.

I know others will disagree and swear up and down that they don't rub, and likely they don't but that does not mean you won't.

Last edited: