GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upper timing cover boost leak

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Hey guys, the other day the shop who did my turbo install pressurized my entire charge system in search of any boost leaks.
They found a big boost leak coming from the top of the upper timing cover.
I will be replacing the gasket but i wanted to know if that the source of the leak is more complicated than that. Were is the boost leak really coming from? Anyone have any info on this topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Ummm sounds like they pressurized more than your charge system. They pressurized your entire crankcase. Big no-no since this can blow out your Rear Main Seal and other seals that are not meant to see pressure like that. This is why you always remove the oil fill cap while boost testing--to allow air pressure that makes it past the pistons/rings to escape without forcing it's way out where it's not supposed to.

How to boost leak test

The upper timing cover never sees boost pressure and is not meant to be air tight. That gasket is ONLY for keeping oil in.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Ummm sounds like they pressurized more than your charge system. They pressurized your entire crankcase. Big no-no since this can blow out your Rear Main Seal and other seals that are not meant to see pressure like that. This is why you always remove the oil fill cap while boost testing--to allow air pressure that makes it past the pistons/rings to escape without forcing it's way out where it's not supposed to.

How to boost leak test

The upper timing cover never sees boost pressure and is not meant to be air tight. That gasket is ONLY for keeping oil in.

Well I saw them do it. they pressurized it starting from the intake and air was coming out of the upper cover gasket.

But thats what im trying to get at, what other part in the charge system would break and leak air into the crank case then out of the upper timing cover?

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion

How to boost leak test

I was informed that this is incorrect, the timing area is directly open to the head on the inside so it does see pressure.

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
It sees pressure in the crankcase, not boost unless the PCV is totally hosed. Did they remove the entire intake pipe from the turbo? If not it’s totally possible they pressurized the crank case thru the back port of the pcv system that is designed to pull in fresh filtered air off boost and all the crankcase vapor when in boost.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Well I saw them do it. they pressurized it starting from the intake and air was coming out of the upper cover gasket.

But thats what im trying to get at, what other part in the charge system would break and leak air into the crank case then out of the upper timing cover?
When you boost leak test, air takes the following path:

intake piping > turbo > boost piping / intercooler > intake manifold > cylinders

The air then slowly leaks past the pistons into the bottom end of the engine (which is open to the timing area and head). The oil fill cap is opened during a pressure test to prevent air pressure from building up in the crank case/timing area/head. If this isn't done you get air trying to escape from anywhere it can, hence a leak appearing at your upper timing cover.

The same thing happens when your car is running. When your engine is firing, small amounts of gasses blow by the piston rings into the crank case. That's where the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system comes into play. It removes that pressure from the crank case so it doesn't cause damage. The reason so many people blow their rear main seal when their PCV goes bad? Pressure builds up in the crank case.

I was informed that this is incorrect, the timing area is directly open to the head on the inside so it does see pressure.
Yes, the timing area is open to the head and the crank case. The only reason for those areas to see pressure is if a boost leak test is performed incorrectly or your PCV system is shot.
It sees pressure in the crankcase, not boost unless the PCV is totally hosed. Did they remove the entire intake pipe from the turbo? If not it’s totally possible they pressurized the crank case thru the back port of the pcv system that is designed to pull in fresh filtered air off boost and all the crankcase vapor when in boost.
Agreed. In OP's case pressure built in the crank case by air leaking past the pistons and potentially air going through the back port of the PCV system (if the shop pressurized the "stage 2" portion of the intake without removing & blocking off the rear PCV connection).

If there is air leaking from your upper timing cover during a boost leak test, the test is being performed incorrectly. Do not continue doing this. You risk causing damage. Pressure in the crank case is bad.

When I pressure tested my system I disconnected the rear PCV connection and plugged it with a rubber plug. I held the rubber plug in place with a big set of channel locks. Not the most professional but it worked just fine. Note the oil fill cap--it's unscrewed (but sitting in place to prevent any debris from falling in).

IMG_20190120_121612

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Either the PCV is bad or they boosted beyond it's spec.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
They are wrong. They caused a leak by pressuring the crankcase. You will most likely have oil leaks after they did this test. It should be in vacuum at all times, crankcase should never see boost. If you pressure the system through the air intake, this pushes pressure backwards into the valve cover. There is not a check valve between the intake tube and valve cover. Your intake tube is not intended to see pressure, only vacuum. This is why you need to remove the pcv tube to the intake tube or remove the oil cap in order to perform a proper pressure check.

Last edited:

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Good info here. Haven't had the need for a pressure test yet, but glad I've learned a bit in advance!

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Just here to agree, blow by will pressurize your crank case but if they pumped the case up something is going to give..not good

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Fixed the leak with a new gasket. Thanks for all the info guys, learn something new everyday, lets just hope my RMS is fine!