GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Clowning Around

bluvv04

Ready to race!
Greetings from Akron! What part of Cleveland you in? Also, you mod list is nice! My GTI is coming off lease and I'm planning to turn it into a good-handling autocross/track car. Anyhow, would love to see it in person one day!

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Greetings from Akron! What part of Cleveland you in? Also, you mod list is nice! My GTI is coming off lease and I'm planning to turn it into a good-handling autocross/track car. Anyhow, would love to see it in person one day!

I was able to see it in person and it is very clean. The tails look very good for reps. I also believe he is in Rocky River.

bluvv04

Ready to race!
I was able to see it in person and it is very clean. The tails look very good for reps. I also believe he is in Rocky River.

Cool. Yeah they do look pretty good. The inner left light where my rear fog sticks out a little farther than the rest of the lights. Annoying but not the worst part of my car.

clownish

just clowning around
Hey, like Sonny said, I'm in River. Happy to meet up when the weather clears a bit - maybe when Superfly starts back up? Also been looking for Cars and Coffee in Cleveland, closest one seems to be Cbus. Nice to meetcha tho.

These Vacar reps don't fit perfectly out of the box but you have several options for fitment. There are built in screws for adjustment on the outers that help fitting dramatically. Then all the contact points are plastic studs that can be dremeled down and/or padded with rubber bump stops to get the fitment you want. We played with mine for nearly two hours to get the fitment right. Once installed though, I haven't had any problems - through rain, sleet, snow, ice and a few thousand miles. No regrets at all about spending less than 50% what it costs for OEM on a purely cosmetic part. I save my money for go-parts not show.

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Happy to meet up when the weather clears a bit - maybe when Superfly starts back up? Also been looking for Cars and Coffee in Cleveland, closest one seems to be Cbus. Nice to meetcha tho.

Sounds good to me. Cleveland Cars & Coffee is at the Starbucks in Garfield Heights. Takes place on the first and third Saturdays from about 9am-11am (during the nicer months, obviously). I try to make it out there a few times with a few friends.

clownish

just clowning around
Sounds good to me. Cleveland Cars & Coffee is at the Starbucks in Garfield Heights. Takes place on the first and third Saturdays from about 9am-11am (during the nicer months, obviously). I try to make it out there a few times with a few friends.

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks!

clownish

just clowning around
Traveling for a week so I'm garaging the gti. Checked under the hood topped off fluids. Also checked the APR cold air intake. Will clean it when I get back and swap filters but I also noticed no leaks anywhere and no discoloration which were complaints with earlier revisions of these APR Carbonio stage 1 and 2 pieces. I strongly believe that proper installation avoids rubbing against piping and is also properly sealed between contact points. Also that revised bracket that holds the stage 2 piece away makes a big difference.

It's been on for about 12,000 mi and six months with zero problems in multiple varied weather conditions. Shown are the stage 1 and 2 pieces, then an engine bay shot.

I love how my bay looks nearly stock even with the k04 installed.

bluvv04

Ready to race!
Traveling for a week so I'm garaging the gti. Checked under the hood topped off fluids. Also checked the APR cold air intake. Will clean it when I get back and swap filters but I also noticed no leaks anywhere and no discoloration which were complaints with earlier revisions of these APR Carbonio stage 1 and 2 pieces. I strongly believe that proper installation avoids rubbing against piping and is also properly sealed between contact points. Also that revised bracket that holds the stage 2 piece away makes a big difference.

It's been on for about 12,000 mi and six months with zero problems in multiple varied weather conditions. Shown are the stage 1 and 2 pieces, then an engine bay shot.

I love how my bay looks nearly stock even with the k04 installed.

Looks good! Im stuck between the Forge Wintake and this. Also looking forward to the nicer months so I can make it out up there to cars and coffee. I only really know one guy with a MK6 besides myself, so it would be nice to meet up with you guys.

clownish

just clowning around
Looks good! Im stuck between the Forge Wintake and this. Also looking forward to the nicer months so I can make it out up there to cars and coffee. I only really know one guy with a MK6 besides myself, so it would be nice to meet up with you guys.

I really don't know many people in the VW scene around here. Can't wait for warmer weather though. I am just about to get some snow set up since it looks like Hoth outside. Blizzak LM-32 and some steelies most likely.

bluvv04

Ready to race!
I really don't know many people in the VW scene around here. Can't wait for warmer weather though. I am just about to get some snow set up since it looks like Hoth outside. Blizzak LM-32 and some steelies most likely.

How much for that set up? I work in Hudson right at the tip of the snowbelt...and I drive through the valley to go to work and back. My tires are done, but I wanted to get a summer tire setup on my detroits until I get the Sparcos, and get a winter set up for the next few months

clownish

just clowning around
Yea I commute 60mi a day. And I drive a lot in general.

The setup ain't cheap but not crazy either. Tire rack has these tires @ 131 each, with wheels at 58 each. Around 580 w/ shipping for tires alone as tire rack had no steelies in stock. With wheels the entire package came out to ~$790.

I'm trying to get this set up as soon as possible so I'm also getting quotes from Firestone, Ganley VW, and HS Tuning since they're all local. Apparently steelies are hard to find right now but Firestone has plenty of Blizzaks since they distribute them.

Firestone quoted me out the door at $630 for tires, taxes and mounting in that price. I dont know what it'll be with wheels yet. Have to recall the other places. Dealer quoted $110 for steelies each. That's... insane.

I'm thinking that if I can come out around $700-800 for these sexy winter tires and steelies it'll be acceptable. A little higher I can stomach but I don't really want to. I'm okay at finding deals but mostly I settle for average because I don't like having to hassle with it.

Last edited:

bluvv04

Ready to race!
Yea I commute 60mi a day. And I drive a lot in general.

The setup ain't cheap but not crazy either. Tire rack has these tires @ 131 each, with wheels at 58 each. Around 580 w/ shipping for tires alone as tire rack had no steelies in stock. With wheels the entire package came out to ~$790.

I'm trying to get this set up as soon as possible so I'm also getting quotes from Firestone, Ganley VW, and HS Tuning since they're all local. Apparently steelies are hard to find right now but Firestone has plenty of Blizzaks since they distribute them.

Firestone quoted me out the door at $630 for tires, taxes and mounting in that price. I dont know what it'll be with wheels yet. Have to recall the other places. Dealer quoted $110 for steelies each. That's... insane.

I'm thinking that if I can come out around $700-800 for these sexy winter tires and steelies it'll be acceptable. A little higher I can stomach but I don't really want to. I'm okay at finding deals but mostly I settle for average because I don't like having to hassle with it.

I didn't know you could get steelies that cheap. ECS has them roughly at 94 a wheel. I'm going to have to look at Tirerack. Hopefully they will get some steelies in stock soon.

clownish

just clowning around
Firestone in Rocky River can source them for $75 which is only $10 over their cost from a third party. I think that ~70 is an average price and the TireRack price of $58 is a good price.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Ended up getting Blizzak LM-32s from Firestone @ $121 each and steelies at $75 each. Not the cheapest option, but I just drove nearly 100 miles since mounting them this afternoon and it's been good. They aren't nearly as squishy as the Blizzak WS70s I've had previously and I've never used steel wheels before but I like them.

Time to find some cheap Tiguan center caps. I hear you can get them for around $17/each but we'll see.

bluvv04

Ready to race!
Ended up getting Blizzak LM-32s from Firestone @ $121 each and steelies at $75 each. Not the cheapest option, but I just drove nearly 100 miles since mounting them this afternoon and it's been good. They aren't nearly as squishy as the Blizzak WS70s I've had previously and I've never used steel wheels before but I like them.

Time to find some cheap Tiguan center caps. I hear you can get them for around $17/each but we'll see.

Nice. I do like how mk6s look with the steelies. Could you take some photos?