GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When intercoolers are TOO efficient.

FriggenT1

Banned
Another calculation about time too fill up IC:

Everyone Talks of turbo lag because of pipe fill time but in all reality the fill time is so miniscule your butt dyno will never notice.
this post is from another site and about a evo intercooler but you get the ideal.

ok a re-edited version: I am writting this to dispell the "excessive" lag myth from too big an intercooler. I find that many people blow the "big intercooler" too much lag thing out of proportion. In reality larger intercooler has very little effect on lag. How? let me show you. Lets compare the stock intercooler vs the precision 600hp intercooler version.

stock: 10"x2.75"x23.5"=646.25 cu. in.
precision 600hp: 31.5"x8"x3.5"=882 cu. in

difference of 235.75 cu. in.

Now lets calculate the time it takes to fill up the difference of volume at a mere 3000 RPM. I am going to use corky bell's formula for this.

time= (volume/flow rate)*2

We need to know the flow rate of the 4g63 at 3000 RPM. I am going to use two figures. The first one I am going to calculate using the VE of 85% which is a stock engine under no positive boost pressure. In most cases (especially with our smaller framed turbo's out there like the 16gs)the added airflow of the turbo equates at 3k is substantially different. The general rule of thumb for a turbo engine is 150-200% VE. For conservative sake we will use 150% VE for the second figure (I could use a compressor map to get more precise however that would make this a specific calculation for a given turbo..and thats not really the point).

2L @ 85% VE= 90 cfm.
2L @ 150% VE= 159 cfm.

so using corky bell's forumla...

85%VE @ 3k = .18 seconds
150%VE @ 3k= .10 seconds

The stock IC isn't 646 ci....maybe the s3, stock on the gti is approximately 350ish ci...the Wagner that op and I have is 1050-1100 ci

Last edited:

FriggenT1

Banned
This is an exemple taken from an other car platform.

read through this blog a lot of myth busted like dump valve, ic , 0 to 60mph...... etc
take with a pinch of salt but I like is out of the box thinking.
scroll through the pages.

http://www.stavtech.co.uk/home/previous/4

No, I mean I understand that, but this is one of those things you can ask 10 people about and get 10 different answers. Top intercooler makers will even tell you that with a small turbo and big ic will produce a noticeable lag. This is also dependant on the quality, type, etc of ic in question. A good IC, should, in theory have less pressure drop, but larger will produce some...that's just how it is. I do agree that the "lag" part is up for debate.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I think the neuspeed is still larger internal volume by about 100 ci iirc, but yeah, hard to get the volume of the stock mounted position ic's on the market

Correct. Stock is around 350 ci. Neuspeed around 450; Wagner and SPM are closer to the 1000 mark

The stock IC isn't 646 ci....maybe the s3, stock on the gti is approximately 350ish ci...the Wagner that op and I have is 1050-1100 ci

This

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
so using corky bell's forumla...

85%VE @ 3k = .18 seconds
150%VE @ 3k= .10 seconds

I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that there was a huge difference in lag between S3 and SPM ICs... noticeable via an analogue boost gauge. Now i still prefer the latter IC because of its cooling.

FriggenT1

Banned
This is an exemple taken from an other car platform.

read through this blog a lot of myth busted like dump valve, ic , 0 to 60mph...... etc
take with a pinch of salt but I like is out of the box thinking.
scroll through the pages.

http://www.stavtech.co.uk/home/previous/4

Ok, I've taken a good look at the site, and I'm not going to cause an Internet argument. I will say these few things.

1. Much of what he says makes sense, but he backs it up with opinion, I don't see any proof from testing, from actual data to back up his opinions.
2.the guy can barely get out a sentence without dropping the F-bomb, which really makes him come across as ignorant and a know it all.
3. Lastly go and blow through a small coffee straw, then go blow through a full-sized soda straw. It will be easier to make pressure with the smaller strong but take more time and more effort to get the air through there then the larger straw. The same principle will apply to filling up a larger intercooler. Even a miniscule amount of lag from a larger intercooler someone will notice when they are used to their car. They drive it everyday and are used to where the Power Band starts, so you are right that it may not increase the time it takes by much but it will be noticeable on the same car with the same person driving it everyday. That is why people say they feel turbo lag.

FriggenT1

Banned
I will also add that I skimmed through several pages butt it didn't look like anything was actually myth busted but rather just someone's opinion as to why he believes what he does. You could find probably hundreds of Articles or even just arguments on forums as to why a larger intercooler causes more turbo lag.

FriggenT1

Banned
Surprisingly boost log with Wagner doesn't seems to have much lag. But I'm still puzzling why it starts to dip at 4K while specified boost is still high. Weak actuator perhaps? Unfortunately I didn't log the S3 to compare

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7h3oDkL-PAiSWtSb1JoS0FRMWs

Mine is the same way, I don't always hit specified, and while I need to verify I don't have any leaks, I'm about 2-3 psi under specified, but my wgdc is also only in the 60% range much of the time in a 4th gear pull

brobst

Go Kart Champion