GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I just bought a used gti. In the car fax report it said my car was serviced at the dealership and drive belt(s) were replaced. Do you think this is the drive belt they are referring to or could it be something else?

Probably the serpentine belt.

itsintrinzik

I just wanted to add a datapoint for those keeping track of updated tensioners/build dates. My 2012 GTI has a 02/12 build date, and has the updated tensioner. It's for the Canadian market, so not sure if that really differs from the US. I was so relieved that it was the updated tensioner, and hopefully it holds up.

A guy that I know said that his wife's 2013 GTI with the updated tensioner skipped timing, but didn't bend valves. As well, I notice that the recent ShopDAP video on checking the timing chain tensioner was performed on a 2013 GTI that apparently skipped timing, but had the updated tensioner. I am not looking to sound the alarm bells on the updated tensioner, but I was just wondering if other issues could cause timing skipping other than this particular tensioner. No one in either of these cases blamed the tensioner for the timing skipping, but it just seemed odd that it was on 2013 MY GTIs.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I just wanted to add a datapoint for those keeping track of updated tensioners/build dates. My 2012 GTI has a 02/12 build date, and has the updated tensioner. It's for the Canadian market, so not sure if that really differs from the US. I was so relieved that it was the updated tensioner, and hopefully it holds up.

A guy that I know said that his wife's 2013 GTI with the updated tensioner skipped timing, but didn't bend valves. As well, I notice that the recent ShopDAP video on checking the timing chain tensioner was performed on a 2013 GTI that apparently skipped timing, but had the updated tensioner. I am not looking to sound the alarm bells on the updated tensioner, but I was just wondering if other issues could cause timing skipping other than this particular tensioner. No one in either of these cases blamed the tensioner for the timing skipping, but it just seemed odd that it was on 2013 MY GTIs.

My 2012 has the updated tensioner and was just over 5 degrees out of spec from a stretched timing chain. The stretched timing chain can cause the timing skip.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I am not looking to sound the alarm bells on the updated tensioner, but I was just wondering if other issues could cause timing skipping other than this particular tensioner.

My 2012 has the updated tensioner and was just over 5 degrees out of spec from a stretched timing chain. The stretched timing chain can cause the timing skip.

Yes, chain can stretch and cause issues. I made a post about it in this thread just a few weeks ago with a picture comparing the old chain to the revised version.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I did scroll through it and ended up reading a part of it that mentions if you had a VW dealer install a new tensioner and chain they would reimburse you 100%, and if you had an indie shop do the same they would reimburse you 100% of the invoice up to $2k.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
I did scroll through it and ended up reading a part of it that mentions if you had a VW dealer install a new tensioner and chain they would reimburse you 100%, and if you had an indie shop do the same they would reimburse you 100% of the invoice up to $2k.

by "they" you mean WHO????? and does this apply to Canadian residents also??

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
I'll be honest, I didn't read through that whole document. Anyone know if those of us who did the tensioner/chain swap labor ourselves as preventative maintenance will receive any kind of compensation? The document seems to only address those that had the work done at a VW dealership or Indy shop.
X2 also, I want to know!

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
There are limits in terms of mileage and in-service dates.

Someone who did it independently may get reimbursed for the part alone, maybe. You did not pay someone for their time, so it would be hard for the courts to put a "value" on your time. Right or wrong, that's just how it will likely work.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
There are limits in terms of mileage and in-service dates.

Someone who did it independently may get reimbursed for the part alone, maybe. You did not pay someone for their time, so it would be hard for the courts to put a "value" on your time. Right or wrong, that's just how it will likely work.

Of course, I wouldn't expect to be paid for my labor. The $600 in parts, however...