GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NEW TO THIS GTI STUFF...

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
So i recently just bought a 2012 gti on airlift management, and a full 3' turbo back from billy boat.... car has 120k, dsg tranny... problems are after driving the car in boost, or for 30+ mins, after i park i noticed i get a decent size oil puddle by the turbo area. on top of that, on hard acceleration i get a good cloud of smoke, cant tell the color from inside the car but smells like oil when i stop and the smoke catches up . lol ... are these two issues related? im in a wheelchair so i cant really get up under the car to check it out but i do know a good amount of wrench work... just not on vw's... this is my first gti and my first turbo car all around so please help me out!:readthethread::iono:

SyDiko

Ready to race!
blown head gasket? and/or blown turbo???

I'd assume with a TBE, that it's tuned... Do you know which tune it's running (or did he flash it back to stock?)

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Any way you can check if its coming from the turbo or from where the engine and transmission meet? If it's coming from there it's probably your RMS from a bad PCV. Getting a distinct point from which the oil is leaking would help a lot in identifying the issue. As for the smoke, almost sounds like bad valve seals, which I would say is unrelated to the puddle underneath the car if that's the case.

HandicappedGTI

Ready to race!
Okay so scratch the oil puddle, it was a line that was loose.... but still getting smoke on hard acceleration, it smells rich, and I don't doubt if it was tuned, I bought it from a used car dealer, it doesn't have the noise pipe either, is there any way to tell if its turned or not?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
What color is the smoke? if it's just black then that's probably ok if you're tuned. To find out you could call some of the big tuners and ask then if they have records of your vin being tuned. Noise pipe only came on 2010, you have a soundaktor instead which is under the plastic trim at the base of the windshield.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Okay so scratch the oil puddle, it was a line that was loose.... but still getting smoke on hard acceleration, it smells rich, and I don't doubt if it was tuned, I bought it from a used car dealer, it doesn't have the noise pipe either, is there any way to tell if its turned or not?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
do you have a boost gauge?
Anything over 10psi its tunned. Stock runs about 8psi.. sometimes 10 in really hot weather.

Stage one tunes ar around 15-18psi and stage 2 tunes are 19-23lbs.

My car has smoke every now and again and smells rich/exhausty but thats because im catless non-resonated so i always smell exhaust.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Yeah, I'm also leaning towards the tune causing the smoke.

If not, it could be anything exhaust related... I'd start at the Turbo and work your way back.