GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jumped Timing

NYGTIChris

Sad day! My 2011 GTI jumped timing and I'm trying to weigh my options.
Threw some codes and took it to VW
p0301
p0304
p0016
p0300
p3054
p0563

Should I straight swap for another stock engine, should I try and rebuild my current stock engine, or should I try and replace and upgrade to better parts and throw out the junk.

I am unsure because the straight swap will run me about 4500 ish or if I go through VW its about 8k and my car is only worth about 8-10k

any advice would help!

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Too bad about your engine, I would say what you do depends on how long you plan to keep the car.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I have a mkv. Engine died at 70k. I went with a replacement engine from VW for 8k$. It was that, or buy a used mk6/7, which would run 10-15k$. So for 8k$ I have a used car with a brand new engine. Which will hopefully last more than another 70k miles.

swazey

Passed Driver's Ed
How many miles? If under 100k, that ongoing settlement just needs to be approved by the judge and would cover up to $6,500 for new engine (from my last readings). Rebuild would be completely covered.

If over 100k, all depends on extent of damage. Taking the entire engine out and swapping a complete one is still a huge job. Would be easier to rebuild if you're doing the work yourself.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

NYGTIChris

How many miles? If under 100k, that ongoing settlement just needs to be approved by the judge and would cover up to $6,500 for new engine (from my last readings). Rebuild would be completely covered.

If over 100k, all depends on extent of damage. Taking the entire engine out and swapping a complete one is still a huge job. Would be easier to rebuild if you're doing the work yourself.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

What do you mean? It has 100360, I have no idea what do you mean with the settlement?

BS2H

Ready to race!
FYI - My 2011 Timing Jumped as well at 93,000 Miles - Car was worth about 8K+ before the Engine Died - I ended up dumping it for 3K to a mechanic to part out.

Now in a Mazda 3. Loved the GTI, but VW left a nasty taste in my mouth with this settlement and Timing issues. Seems like more and more 2010-2011's are on the forums now with this issue.

Maybe I'll revisit VW for the 2034 model year GTI.