GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfiring Questions

Gti pittsburgh

So I have a 2010 CSG Gti and the car has been absolutely fantastic with no problems at all. I'm at 75k miles on a stock tune. The only thing that's ever been modded on the car is that I have a cold air intake. So now that I'm racking up the miles I'm expecting the maintenance bills to start to go up...

I just started noticing the other day when I was driving on the highway and hit some construction so I slowed to about 45 mph in 6th gear. I noticed as I came out of the construction zone and stepped on the gas to accelerate back to 70 that I felt a bit of misfiring happening. I promptly down shifted to 5th and had another misfire and back down to 4th hit boost back up to speed and was fine the rest of the way home. I thought it was pretty weird, but I'm expecting to have to get the intake carbon buildup taken care of soon. So I thought this might be causing a bit of an issue. I've been driving 'spirited' the last few days to try to clean out any bit of carbon I can. Then the same thing happened to me again yesterday. 5th and 6th gear around 1500-2500k rpm range like 40-50 mph when I try to accelerate.

Now I'd like to get on top of this before it becomes a huge issue. What do you think could cause this problem? I'm almost to my 80k service interval so I'm going to replace my plugs and coils with r8's. As far as I know I'm still on the original plugs. I'm also going to do the fuel filter. Do you think this will solve my misfiring? I'm really hoping its the plugs and not a timing or clutch problem. I really don't think its the clutch because I didn't notice the rpms changing or shooting up or anything. It felt more like a miss. I did not throw any CEL lights either.

Also, when should I start really worrying about the carbon buildup? Should I just wait until something goes wrong or should I take it and have it done to ease my mind.

Help! I'm freaking out because I love my car and depend on it daily. I don't want any serious issues.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Definitely start with the new plugs and coilpacks.

Follow that up with the carbon cleaning too. At 75k miles your due. Once your valves are really caked up, spirited driving won't help at all. The only way to remove it now is to physically remove it.

Since you're from the 'Burgh too, hit up Nick in this thread for a good price on the carbon cleaning. He does a lot of work for us locals, good guy.

Gti pittsburgh

Yeah I've read up on his threads and it sounds like a great deal. Where is he at in Pittsburgh? I will have to hit him up in the near future to get the intake taken care of. As for now I'm gunna get those plugs and coils ordered and do those myself ASAP.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
He's located in Shadyside.

Check out HSTuning here. Prices are usually pretty decent.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Nice! We've started up a local Euro club, its still small but gotta start somewhere. Feel free to join in.