GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

gwakie

I believe I've seen guys on here say they've paid $1000 to $1500 at an independent shop for tensioner/chains/guides (might as well do it all while you're in there). I have pictures and links to service manual, etc from when I did mine if you're interested. Check the link in my signature.

New guy asking stupid questions here...

1. If my tensioner hasn't failed yet, how would I know that I need to replace the chains and guides as well?

2. Is there any reason why the chains aren't mentioned in the litigation website as being a covered item?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

1. If my tensioner hasn't failed yet, how would I know that I need to replace the chains and guides as well?

2. Is there any reason why the chains aren't mentioned in the litigation website as being a covered item?

1. You don't know, but if you're already doing the labor to do most of the work for the tensioner, you might as well do the other pieces.

2. Probably because it's not the part that fails.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion

1. The cam chain was revised to have a different link count/pattern. Supposedly it will resist stretching (a serious issue seen by MANY people) better than the previous revision. I've posted pictures of the different chain revisions many times, including in this thread, but I'll add the photo below as well.

You can get an idea for stretch by using OBDeleven or VAGCOM. If your chain is stretched it needs to be replaced. The old revision chain stretches, it's inevitable. By 100k miles I was at -3.X and almost out of spec. This is typical from what I've seen posted by others. Quote of myself from page 109 of this thread:
I think this has been pretty well covered previously in this thread but I will appease you:

You can measure the camshaft phase position at idle (block 093) using vagcom or OBD2. This number shows how far the camshaft angle is from what the car expects. If this number is out of a certain tolerance (-4 to 4) it is an indication that the camshaft timing chain has stretched or jumped a tooth.

I found my chain guides to be in fine shape but they were cheap enough so I figured I would replace everything at once.

2. I assume the chain is not mentioned in litigation because it is not the weakest link, the tensioner is. The tensioner letting go is what causes engine failure.

My take is this: First thing anyone worried about their tensioner should do is get under the car and check to see what revision you have. After that get ahold of VAGCOM or OBDeleven and check block 093. If you have the old tensioner you should get it replaced. Then you have to decide whether or not to also do chains/guides. If your chain is getting stretched, ie greater than -2 in block 093, or you plan on keeping the car for the foreseeable future go ahead and replace the cam chain as well. If you have the new tensioner and your chains are starting to stretch I would just keep an eye on block 093 and replace the tensioner/chain assembly when you get near -4.

Read this thread people...all the information is in here. It's daunting but start reading and you will be rewarded.

Cam chain revisions...Old chain on left, new chain on right.

Last edited:

bov

Update on my situation for those curious - total bill was $10k, VW covered $6k, and out of pocket was exactly $3940... but my car is back home and running... Best of luck to all those affected!

zrickety

The Fixer
Update on my situation for those curious - total bill was $10k, VW covered $6k, and out of pocket was exactly $3940... but my car is back home and running... Best of luck to all those affected!
HOLY CRAP. You could buy another 2011 for 10k. Yikes.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
From a trusty resource. Works at my local vw dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

Why did you have to pay out of your pocket?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
U got stealershiped .... You can get these engines from places with all the revision parts and a turbo, minus water pump for about 5500 .... Although there's still labour so maybe that's why it was 10k.

Anyway .... VW has the highest rate of one and done buyers .... Although when they are working they are nice cars

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
U got stealershiped .... You can get these engines from places with all the revision parts and a turbo, minus water pump for about 5500 .... Although there's still labour so maybe that's why it was 10k.

Anyway .... VW has the highest rate of one and done buyers .... Although when they are working they are nice cars

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

One and done reporting in.

just got rid of my TSI. Did the chains and a million other things. Screw VW.

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I owned my GTI for about 2 years now and she’s about to hit 115k.... every time I start my car I pray to the car gods.... but never no issue or weird sounds. Sometimes I wonder if the job was done.

HOW CAN I FIND OUT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm joining the club. At 155k my tensioner is gone or chain is stretched. Cam phase position over -6 FML. Parts ordered from partsgeek, way cheaper than ECS and DAP.

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
I'm joining the club. At 155k my tensioner is gone or chain is stretched. Cam phase position over -6 FML. Parts ordered from partsgeek, way cheaper than ECS and DAP.

Did you buy their "kit" with unknown brand. None are Original VW/AUDI parts they sell. Even the Genuine, is just a brand name and not VW. I would be worried of installing any of that stuff.

zrickety

The Fixer
I appreciate the concern. I actually have an updated VW tensioner I bought awhile ago, just never got it on the car. If the chain looks sketchy I'll just return it. I have to see it in person.