GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So a cop flipped me off today

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I would like to see a cop win in court for a ticket of 1 mph over speed limit. Even 5 over can be easily challenged in court.
THATS why they dont pull you over at that speed. Not because they are just nice guys.
Yes, they can pull you over but its a waste of time for all parties involved.

You're missing the point entirely. It's not about being able to fight a ticket in court...you can fight most tickets in court to get them tossed out. That's not the point. The point is that it IS illegal to go even 1 MPH over the posted speed limit. The idea that there is a soft limit to the law in this matter is simply absurd. Just because they don't waste their time (usually) to pull you over for 10 or less above the speed limit doesn't mean you are driving within the limits of traffic laws.

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
By the way, why should cops be allowed to speed during non-emergencies? By all means go ahead and speed if you need to get to an emergency or another law enforcing event, but to leisurely drive in speeds excess of 100mph without lights on seems ridiculous.

Even going 5 mph over can get you a ticket in some areas. Why should the cop be allowed to break the law going 35 over? It doesn't make sense.

Cops are not required to comply with speed limits, etc. so long as they do not endanger the public in doing so.

You have no idea what kind of a call they were on and whether it was an emergency or not. Cops are not required to have their lights and siren on when responding to a call, even if it's an emergency.

Usually, in a case like yours, people will get out of your way with a simple flash of the high beam. Why you didn't confuses me.

If I was ten miles an hour over the speed limit and a cop flashed his high beams at me, I would have pulled over a lane and slowed down to the speed limit.

You were lucky their call wasn't canceled at that moment or I can pretty well guarantee you they would have pulled you over and, at the very least, inconvenienced you for 15 or 20 minutes, and perhaps ticketed you.

Consider yourself lucky.

Last edited:

APdubbin

Ready to race!
You're missing the point entirely. It's not about being able to fight a ticket in court...you can fight most tickets in court to get them tossed out. That's not the point. The point is that it IS illegal to go even 1 MPH over the posted speed limit. The idea that there is a soft limit to the law in this matter is simply absurd. Just because they don't waste their time (usually) to pull you over for 10 or less above the speed limit doesn't mean you are driving within the limits of traffic laws.

Yes youre right... It goes without you saying. Everyone knows that the posted limit means the posted limit.
But what really matters is at what point you get pulled over or not, which is what the OP was clearly concerned about since he was going 10 over. If he was to be concerned about the actual posted speed limit he would of been afraid to go even 1 mph over.

APdubbin

Ready to race!
Cops are not required to comply with speed limits, etc. so long as they do not endanger the public in doing so.

You have no idea what kind of a call they were on and whether it was an emergency or not. Cops are not required to have their lights and siren on when responding to a call, even if it's an emergency.

Usually, in a case like yours, people will get out of your way with a simple flash of the high beam. Why you didn't confuses me.

If I was ten miles an hour over the speed limit and a cop flashed his high beams at me, I would have pulled over a lane and slowed down to the speed limit.

You were lucky their call was canceled at that moment or I can pretty well guarantee you they would have pulled you over and, at the very least, inconvenienced you for 15 or 20 minutes, and perhaps ticketed you.

Consider yourself lucky.

Exactly.
If at anytime you get flashed, whether its 5-O or not, move the fuck over.

bmxr

Ready to race!
By the way, why should cops be allowed to speed during non-emergencies? By all means go ahead and speed if you need to get to an emergency or another law enforcing event, but to leisurely drive in speeds excess of 100mph without lights on seems ridiculous.

Even going 5 mph over can get you a ticket in some areas. Why should the cop be allowed to break the law going 35 over? It doesn't make sense.

Neither MDPD nor FHP are "allowed" to go 35 over without lights. Enforcing that is tough though, for obvious reasons. Nice red herring though. My kids blame each other when they know they are wrong, too.

Florida Statute says that unless you are in the right lane already, you are to move over when someone indicates they want to pass you. They are to indicate the desire to pass with "audible signal or upon the visible blinking of the headlamps". I am sure there is statute that specifies getting the hell out of the way for a cop, not to mention the common sense involved.

At least you figured out the middle lane thing :thumbup:

omes4life1

Ready to race!
Wow fail just move over...idk whts so hard about that lol smh

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
haha this is an easy one...

I was cruising going 75 mph down 595 in the left lane when a cop starts tailgating me.

in canada... you were risking a ticket. thats called failure to yield. you shouldnt cruise in the left lane. its for passing. also passing on the left is a ticket. he flipped you off cause you were driving like an idiot. i think you are lucky you didnt get pulled over.

this is a major pet peave for alot of people i know. failing to yield is dangerous. it is the cause of tailgating and many accidents. do people ride your ass alot?

do you have a good reason why you couldnt move over? you said that the hwy was clear... why didnt you move when someone flashed you over?

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
FUCK THAT BITCH!!! THIS JUST MAKES ME HATE COPS EVEN MORE!!! I'D LOVE TO GET PULLED OVER BY HIS ASS AND GO AHEAD AND TELL HIM WHAT'S ON MY MIND. COPS CAN BE PRICKS!!! he shouldn't even be a cop if he's tailgaiting other drivers.

We are all dumber for having read that. May God have mercy on your soul.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
FUCK THAT BITCH!!! THIS JUST MAKES ME HATE COPS EVEN MORE!!! I'D LOVE TO GET PULLED OVER BY HIS ASS AND GO AHEAD AND TELL HIM WHAT'S ON MY MIND. COPS CAN BE PRICKS!!! he shouldn't even be a cop if he's tailgaiting other drivers.

wow you missed the morale of the story too eh?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I love this thread :)

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, if he really wanted to do something, even though you were going over the speed limit, he could have pulled you over for impeding the flow of traffic.

HatchFanatic06

Ready to race!
The finger is eh but to be honest the "fast" lane is for overtaking not cruising; here in England they can pull you over and ticket you for cruising in the overtaking lane.

I've talked to a few cops and speeding without their lights on is nothing new. There are times when they need to be somewhere but doesn't require them to disrupt the flow of traffic.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
If only Jeb had the balls to pass the failure to stay right law you'd have been getting both a speeding ticket and a failure to keep right ticket.. and maybe still the finger.

idiot was afraid of pissing off the old people the law was being written to target so he vetoed it.

Would have been the best law ever passed.