GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS 315 + aftermarket everything else + factory speaker wiring?

davethetenor

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2012 GTI w/ factory nav and non-premium (aka not Dynaudio) sound. I am looking to keep the RNS 315 nav unit, but replace all factory speakers with components (probably Elemental Designs e9.65i) and add a 10" sub, all powered by a 5-channel amp (Alpine PDX-5?).

Is there a factory amplifier somewhere? If not, where are the crossovers for the components? If so, where is the amplifier, and is there a pin-out diagram available online? I'd like to preserve the stock speaker wiring because running new wires is a giant pain for an extremely minimal, possibly non-existent SQ gain. Therefore, ideally I would disconnect the factory amplifier and tap into the inputs (from the HU) and outputs (to the speakers) in that wiring harness. I did this in my BMW E46 330i and it worked well, using a JL Audio CleanSweep to normalize the signal.

Also, is there a pin-out diagram for the RNS 315 available somewhere? Obviously tapping in directly behind the HU is an option, but I couldn't reuse the stock wiring since it would still be connected to the factory amplifier unless I actually cut the wires (which I would rather avoid).

Would any of you who have been down this road with the non-Dynaudio system be willing to point me in the right direction? I've searched and have come up relatively empty.

Thanks in advance!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Add a JL stealthbox before you tear out all the stock speakers. You may like the sound enough to not f with the rest of the system.

davethetenor

Passed Driver's Ed
Add a JL stealthbox before you tear out all the stock speakers. You may like the sound enough to not f with the rest of the system.

Unfortunately I've had the car two days and I already know the system sucks badly enough to rip it out. Been through this exercise many times... :)

davethetenor

Passed Driver's Ed
There is no amp for the non-Dynaudio system

Then how are the factory woofers and tweeters frequency-isolated? Based on what I've read, it appears to me that the head unit has eight pin-outs - left +, left -, right +, right - (front and rear). Are there separate crossovers somewhere, or do the stock speakers have crossovers wired up in-line? In other words, is the full signal being sent to each speaker, or is it being split somewhere along the line? What I wouldn't give for a wiring diagram... :)

JewFro

Ready to race!
Then how are the factory woofers and tweeters frequency-isolated? Based on what I've read, it appears to me that the head unit has eight pin-outs - left +, left -, right +, right - (front and rear). Are there separate crossovers somewhere, or do the stock speakers have crossovers wired up in-line? In other words, is the full signal being sent to each speaker, or is it being split somewhere along the line? What I wouldn't give for a wiring diagram... :)

I'd put money on VW integrating the crossover directly into the speaker/tweeter. Can't help you with the crossover arrangement but I'm curious to know myself as I'm interested in replacing the front components.

Here is the pin-out (works for the RNS 315 too)
http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments