GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

el_zorro

I also bought mine from Amazon, but in Dec. 2011. It was the GENK41A. Looking at my invoice, it reads "VW/AUDI ADT w/GENTEX GENK41A Auto Dim Mirror w/Homelink/Wire Cover/Basic Harness" $189.00"
The adapter that came with mine was exactly the same as the one shown on page 1 of this DIY. Looking at the one on your link, they look different.

Found this link on Vortex, on where to get the same P7122 mirror adapter: http://www.parkingsensoronline.co.u...-p-287.html?osCsid=jcr9olf6qlot7u8ki5u8qqtej3

67Scarelane

Ready to race!
So how did it go? :D

I finally had some time to install the mirror. For the most part it was a piece of cake with one exception. Getting the adapter on the button was a total pain. I had to use my Dremel and remove some material on the adapter. I thought tightening the screw would pull the adapter down over the button, but it didn't. I actually thought I was gonna break the allen wrench. Still not even sure if it's down far enough, but the mirror seems secure.

But other than that, it was really easy. Seems to work really well. I'll see if it falls off the windshield tomorrow on my way to work! :D

Thanks to everyone for posting great tips on the install. Really helped me a lot. I followed the original post for the most part. The only thing I didn't do was remove the old mirror from the arm. I just twisted the arm off by hand.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
I finally had some time to install the mirror. For the most part it was a piece of cake with one exception. Getting the adapter on the button was a total pain. I had to use my Dremel and remove some material on the adapter. I thought tightening the screw would pull the adapter down over the button, but it didn't. I actually thought I was gonna break the allen wrench. Still not even sure if it's down far enough, but the mirror seems secure.

But other than that, it was really easy. Seems to work really well. I'll see if it falls off the windshield tomorrow on my way to work! :D

Thanks to everyone for posting great tips on the install. Really helped me a lot. I followed the original post for the most part. The only thing I didn't do was remove the old mirror from the arm. I just twisted the arm off by hand.

:thumbup:

Hi,
I ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Gente...-Homelink/dp/B004U317QE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2, and it works like a charm. I can't tell you how wonderful it looks, and I love having the homelink, and the auto dim feature again. I missed it from my last car. This kit comes with everything you need, and with the wire covers, it really looks OEM.

:clap:

hd9280

Hi guys, I just recently installed a mirror on my MK6 Jetta by following the OP's instructions.. but on my Jetta, the green light flashes instead of shutting down after the 10-15mins after turning the car off. I used the same wire as the OP, blue/red.
I plan on installing this on my MK6 GTI, but I'm wondering if anyone has this problem on there Golf/GTI? Does anyone else know what other wire I can tap so that the mirror shuts off when the car is off? Thanks!!

BTW... if anyone wants to buy some.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5884061-FS-Gentex-GENK41A-Mirror-with-Homelink

DirtySancho

2013 JSW Gentex Dimming/Homelink Mirror Install

First, a big thanks to all the useful posts before me. :thumbup:

Since it's been a bit and there haven't been a whole load of MK6 JSW posts, I'll recap my install.

Seems the only Gentex mirror available with our cars in mind at the time is the http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Gentex-GENK40A-Auto-Dimming-Homelink/dp/B004U317QE. Certainly not cheap at $249.99 but it seems to be the closest to what we'll need to do this mod. I did notice a model with compass and temp but that seems to be fairly redundant with the MK6. Same price though...go crazy if you like. This kit comes with the 'new and improved' CNC'd, laser honed, super-whamadyne button adapter for mounting. Which does not fit. More on this later. Also included is a full wiring harness for routing down to the fuse block via the A-pillar if you are so inclined. I was not (as I'm sure 95% of you all) so it was a bummer not to get the simple 3 wire kit (and tap kit) from previous editions of the VW mirror package.

Removal of over-head housing pieces was straight forward and had been covered many times before.

Removal of stock mirror, same as above.

Routing of wires through headliner. As mentioned, you get a full wiring harness with this kit so a bit of modification is required. Coming from the mirror connector there are five wires, the three required plus two green for temp sensors. As I didn't get the temp mirror, I snipped these off as close to the plug as possible. At the other side, our three remaining wire are cut next to the first intermediate plug connection and this seems to be just enough wire to do the job without any problem. There is also a nice length of black wire cover that you can cut down to the appropriate length and make the install look clean if inspecting the wire run from outside the windscreen. All fairly straight forward, however getting the wires inside the housing (through the headliner) was a little challenging. I used a metal kabob skewer from the inside of the housing (there is a slot to route it through in precisely the right spot) and held the liner away from the glass that way. I then fed the trio of wires (with jacket on and taped with electrical tape at end to facilitate easy entry) through and removed the skewer. Easy peasy. If you've cut your black protective jacket long enough, it will protect your wires inside the housing as they pass a relatively sharp looking plastic edge. Prolly good to have some type of protection there as the miles stack up.

Connecting the wires. No taps are included in this kit so off I went to Radio Shack and bought some red (18-22awg) wire taps for use on our power supply connections. Tapping in was easy but something interesting to note, I used the blue/red for constant (actually, switched after 5-15 minutes, depending on who you ask) Homelink power and the purple/brown for the 'ignition' switched power for the dimmer. The purple/brown acts a lot like the delayed shut-off power from blue/red, it will stay on (green lamp illuminated on the mirror) for a few minutes after getting out of the car but it will also go out at times, mostly when the courtesy lights come on in the cabin. I don't know if this is a voltage issue or if the purple/brown has some funky power on/off criteria, but seems to work just fine while underway so I'm ok with it. Maybe one of you voltmeter/wiring diagram detectives out there will solve that one. Ground was connected via a crimped-on eye (with a piece of shrink tubing for protection and anti-wire connection fatigue) to one of the available screws that penetrate the roof. Stock screw was replaced by a self tapping (non-painted) model to alleviate grinding the paint off the stock screw to ensure a good connection.

Mounting the new mirror. Boy was I stoked to see the 'new' model of button adapter in this kit. That didn't last long...damn thing doesn't fit. I'm not sure if the button on the JSW is different from other VW models but I'm guessing they are all the same...why this didn't fit, I have no idea since it is supposed to be replacing an old crappy one...that didn't fit well. Took me a decent amount of time with a Dremel and grinding bit to modify the opening so it would slide over the button AND slide down and cinch once you tighten the set screw. What you need to do in grinding is self evident so I won't cover it but for what they are changing just for this adapter never mind the kit, this thing should fit.:mad: Tighten the set screw down on the adapter and it is finally on there snug! Oh, btw, paint it black before installation so it doesn't look crappy looking at it through the windscreen...

Oh, you thought we were solid now...not so much. Slide the mirror down onto the adapter and tighten the set screw on the mirror...and it still moves around at fully tightened. It wouldn't slide back off but I'm sure it would play hell on the road so off it came. Add a built-up piece of electrical tape to the little slot in the adapter, now it is solid and all the play/movement has been eliminated. Install the wire conduit/cover to make it look good and..voila!

Housing re-assembly. Covered before and easy.

Well, there it is. These mirrors have been around for awhile...why they can't make a kit that is right I have no idea. With a little persistence and modification it isn't bad upgrade and is still worth the time imo. I just hope that electrical tape doesn't give way...

Cheers...
Sancho

Low-Cod-9662

Passed Driver's Ed
I did a windshield replacement a month or two ago and when the tech put my mirror back it felt much tighter. He also must've lost the little plastic bracket that hides the wire. Today my mirror fell off. FML.

It's a shame many photos on this thread are now dead but I'm looking at the mounts and they don't match what's in the OP. I kinda wonder if the tech who did my windshield install lost some parts and jury rigged the mount which is why it feels different from how I remember it.
1691567179177.png