GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alice the GTD

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed
Cheers mate. Guess I need to sit down and do some proper research on it. What do you make of this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261428035944?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649 - Do you not think it's worth that for just a headunit? Had my eye on an RNS510 before I even got my car, so think I'll have to go for one. Bit worried that you mention a drop in sound quality though.

Also sorry for clogging up your thread Andy mate, seems this is the only place I can find people from the UK on here haha.

Looks the part from what I can see. Only got a 6 month warranty but I'm sure you should be fine! Pretty pricey but it is a brand new 2014 model!

And don't worry mate!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Cheers mate. Guess I need to sit down and do some proper research on it. What do you make of this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261428035944?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649 - Do you not think it's worth that for just a headunit? Had my eye on an RNS510 before I even got my car, so think I'll have to go for one. Bit worried that you mention a drop in sound quality though.

Also sorry for clogging up your thread Andy mate, seems this is the only place I can find people from the UK on here haha.

Indeed, that does look like a nice head unit. It all depends on what you want, either pay £900 plus £20 postage for this, or half for a unit that was made in 2013. I know what I would do and spend the remaining cash on other mods;)

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed
Indeed, that does look like a nice head unit. It all depends on what you want, either pay £900 plus £20 postage for this, or half for a unit that was made in 2013. I know what I would do and spend the remaining cash on other mods;)

Spend the remainder on a Milltek exhaust. Then you won't care about the sound quality of your headunit haha.

afctom

Ready to race!
Spend the remainder on a Milltek exhaust. Then you won't care about the sound quality of your headunit haha.

Lol unfortunately I've only got a 1.4 tsi so no engine/exhaust mods for me, literally no point!

Still trying to work out how I'd get the DAB on that working without an awful looking dab antenna somewhere on the car

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol unfortunately I've only got a 1.4 tsi so no engine/exhaust mods for me, literally no point!

Still trying to work out how I'd get the DAB on that working without an awful looking dab antenna somewhere on the car

A remap would give a reasonable increase, check out the figures:)

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
coming along nice!!!

afctom

Ready to race!

I really want DAB but theres no way I'm getting an antenna designed for a VW van on the car, or a silly looking stick on windscreen one. Is it even that much better than a standard version? looking at a brand new version Q for considerably less than the DAB version and thats the latest version they'll make I'd imagine?

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
I really want DAB but theres no way I'm getting an antenna designed for a VW van on the car, or a silly looking stick on windscreen one. Is it even that much better than a standard version? looking at a brand new version Q for considerably less than the DAB version and thats the latest version they'll make I'd imagine?

Yes, I believe version Q is the latest.

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed
Cars keeping you busy isnt it mate haha, you're putting me to shame. Ive had my car for 6 months now and done one thing to it!

Haha yeah, my Mk5 was such a slow build so trying to get this one how I want it as quickly as I can :)

Starting a new job on Tuesday though, proper 9-5 so that could slow down progress, but at the same time I will have more money to use :D

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Think I'll order it now, fitting a DAB unit seems to be far too much trouble. You ever going to make your own build thread on here mate? be good to see your car as well

I will do soon mate. I haven't taken many pics of progress to be honest - here is a pic of how she looks currently.

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed
04 May 2014

So sandpaper arrived and made a start on the first dish.

Used 2000 grit for this finish, along with some 1000 to gently remove some pitting around the bolt holes, and 400 for the edge of the lip on any chips and to remove excess sealant on the back of the dish.

Started:

Unsanded and sanded:

Next step is a quick shoot over with 2500 grit and then polish them up and seal them. Going to sand the four dishes before polishing/sealing.

They will definitely not look like brand new lips but I am really pleased with the progress so far, and I will feel better knowing that I have put a lot of work into them.

Cheers.

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like a lot of hard work. Well worth it though, nice one.