GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Susp. noise help

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
I'll start with the basics..

hr sport springs on stock shocks.

Hit a crater on 95 in ny last night heading back from MD. Went out today and under bigger bumps, DS front makes a loose sounding clunk noise. Popped the wheel off this afternoon and grabbed the rotor/caliper and nothing moves or looks loose. (trust me, i tried). Driving on normal roads it doesnt make any noise, hit a bump though and clunky clunk.

Everything looks tied down pretty good.. blown shock? time to upgrade to koni yellows??

simpson110

Ready to race!
I would check the passenger side too, suspension noises can really travel sometimes. Check the sway bar end link, strut bearing plate, maybe even your sway bar mounts. I didn't have a chance to hit any potholes in ny because I went throught there at about 10mph the whole way.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I would also give your subframe a detailed once over.. I've seen a few crack and make noises.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
Good suggestions guys. i tried the same stretch of road and gone over the same bumps in both directions, narrowed it down to the driver side. checked the swaybar mounts already, those are good. Going to drop the strut from the tower and check the mount, might be dead after that hit.

keep the ideas coming

mcfaddenmkvi

Ready to race!
Def sounds like the strut. Seems like these cars on springs with stock struts is asking for them to crap out. Would also look at tie rods. I had one on my Cts go and was the last thing I thought it would be.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
If it sounds like someone hung a beaner of keys up front, it's more than likely a blown strut.

It will worsen to the point of rattling all the time, not just over bumps.

Ask me how I know.
:mad0259:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
If it was working fine before, why not do it again? You can pickup lightly used stock struts for pretty cheap on the forums.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
If it sounds like someone hung a beaner of keys up front, it's more than likely a blown strut.

It will worsen to the point of rattling all the time, not just over bumps.

Ask me how I know.
:mad0259:

lol that sounds about right.

If it was working fine before, why not do it again? You can pickup lightly used stock struts for pretty cheap on the forums.

been meaning to swap up to koni yellows anyways.. now i have a reason w/o the gf getting mad at me for spending more $$ on the car

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
The quest continues, its pass. and drivers side. I hear it backing out of my driveway (small lip) and driving over , mostly, sharp bumps.

To add to the headache.. i have a steering wheel shake around 60-70mph.

Ideas , though im not sure what they sound like,

bad ball joints?
bad/loose front end links
bad upper strut mounts?

i checked eeeeevrrything last weekend. Everythings tight -___- I'll compare the noise to a loose clunking, similar to when you drive over a manhole cover.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
did you get new shocks?

no. checked those, no leaking, no bouncing, shocks are ok. New noise i noticed today coming back from lunch. Pulled into work, as i was backing into a spot i heard a poo/clunk sound. Thats new. -____-

Strut mounts and bearings??

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
more noises tonight. I can describe driving at highway speeds as very vague. Shimmy in the wheel. also, while parked, when i turn the wheel a little, left or right i get a creaking sound.

maybe its all tied together? is this possibly the subframe issue the mk5/6 is known for??

v.b

Ready to race!
get under there and check the bolts to be sure. my subframe came loose on its own but it didnt make a clunk noise like you described. it just clicked as it shifted from one side to another.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
Installed the Tyrolsport deadset kit last night. Been driving around all day, no more noises at all. Front end is dead quiet. :beer: