GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance

It was hot so it was pulling a little bit of timing. With the same tune it did 440whp on a dynapack last Saturday, don't have those graphs saved though. I'm pretty happy with the way everything came out.

Looks good overall. Can you email me the .drf file would like to compare to other similar setups.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
This setup is completely maxed btw. Any more boost and it starts to pull timing, lowering boost and adding timing results in roughly the same power. There's just no more left in it. Only thing to do from here with this setup is run more meth (only at 15 degrees timing advance right now) or switch to a .86 hotside (probably too laggy) and an external gate. My shop says they can setup a 5th injector and e85 tune but I'm going to hold off on that for a while because I'm happy where I am even though I didn't hit my 450 goal like we anticipated. Drivability & reliability both seem to be on point right now and it's pretty damn fast. Scares pretty much everyone who gets in it lol. I think I got everything I wanted out of this car :)

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
This setup is completely maxed btw. Any more boost and it starts to pull timing, lowering boost and adding timing results in roughly the same power. There's just no more left in it. Only thing to do from here with this setup is run more meth (only at 15 degrees timing advance right now) or switch to a .86 hotside (probably too laggy) and an external gate. My shop says they can setup a 5th injector and e85 tune but I'm going to hold off on that for a while because I'm happy where I am even though I didn't hit my 450 goal like we anticipated. Drivability & reliability both seem to be on point right now and it's pretty damn fast. Scares pretty much everyone who gets in it lol. I think I got everything I wanted out of this car :)

Really surprised to see that turbo isn't spooling sooner than it is. Maybe a billet wheel would speed things up for you.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Really surprised to see that turbo isn't spooling sooner than it is. Maybe a billet wheel would speed things up for you.
I don't think I'd want it to spool sooner. I'd be going through meth a lot quicker and late spool keeps tq down which is good for fwd. I rev to 7300 (even though we didn't on this run) and it makes 20 psi at 4400 so it's got a pretty solid powerband. I am curious to see what it would do with a billet wheel though.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
This setup is completely maxed btw. Any more boost and it starts to pull timing, lowering boost and adding timing results in roughly the same power.

You can go both ways with that (assuming you're calibrating the ECU):

Lower boost & add more timing
Lower timing & add more boost

drepai

Go Kart Champion
You can go both ways with that (assuming you're calibrating the ECU):

Lower boost & add more timing
Lower timing & add more boost
We ran it at 100% n75 duty cycle (31 psi with the 1 bar actuator) with the max timing it would allow before knock and it made 434whp. We lowered the duty cycle to around 90% which is roughly 27 psi and added a few degrees of timing and it made 440whp. What we didn't try is turning boost down to 24 psi or less and advancing timing.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion

yussssss!!!!! :beer::beer::beer:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
We ran it at 100% n75 duty cycle (31 psi with the 1 bar actuator) with the max timing it would allow before knock and it made 434whp. We lowered the duty cycle to around 90% which is roughly 27 psi and added a few degrees of timing and it made 440whp. What we didn't try is turning boost down to 24 psi or less and advancing timing.

Makes sense. Turbos pretty maxed out.

Have you thought about using a smaller turbo for a wider power band? IIRC you're using the 3076, right? You can pick up quite a bit more down low with the 3071. The GTX2867 will get you even more down low, but will cost you up top.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Thanks I got, what were the specs on that pull?
91 octane and meth injection, it's not really tuned for the meth though.
Makes sense. Turbos pretty maxed out.

Have you thought about using a smaller turbo for a wider power band? IIRC you're using the 3076, right? You can pick up quite a bit more down low with the 3071. The GTX2867 will get you even more down low, but will cost you up top.
Yes I'm using a gt3076r-wg .64 a/r turbine housing. ATP uses a v-band flange which is comparable to a t25 in size (small for a turbo this size). I've thought about it and I wouldn't want drop the cash to swap turbos with this kit, if I switch turbos I'd go with a different kit entirely. My ideal setup would be a gtx3071r and t3 manifold but I'm too happy with what I have now to justify the $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.