GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have a wiring diagram for this OEM USB?

///Audience

Ready to race!
Im trying to retrofit this USB in as a charger (does not need to do media). It has a 4 pin cable and im wondering if anyone has any information on wiring this thing.

Here is what I have

Thanks for the help!

thegave

Ready to race!
Splice into cigarette lighter/12v socket.

You can also get "the other half" of the kit from Double Apex.

///Audience

Ready to race!
im not concerned about how to connect it, just trying to figure out what the 4 wires go to. They are Black, Red, Yellow, and White. Typically this would denote a ground, +12v constant, and +12v ignition but im not sure why this would need constant power unless i wanted it to run with the car off (i dont).

I also need to know if i need a resister or step down transformer to achieve a 5v charging.

nadams5755

Ready to race!
4 pins of USB are 5v+, ground, send and receive. Red and black should be +/- respectively. therefore you'll need a stepdown 12v->5v

i'm looking at the usb passthrough(1), wiring a cigarette lighter parallel to the factory console unit, and stuffing it under the center console. combined with an anker 2.1a autosense charger(2). plug the passthrough into the anker charger.

i have apple devices, wife has android devices, this is to help solve all our car charging problems. none of the newer devices can operate streaming music, GPS, and keeping the screen awake at the same time while charging from 0.5a.

(apple and android use two different high-current charging signals, most chargers support one type but not both. therefore the charger will drop down to 0.5a charging for the "other" type. anker's power-iq chargers autodetect and give up to 2.1a per device)

*1 http://www.doubleapex.co/collections/mkvi-golf-gti/products/usb_passthrough_usb01
*2 http://www.amazon.com/Charger-PowerIQ-Technology-Samsung-Motorola/dp/B00D82O68Y

///Audience

Ready to race!
Thanks! I got it all figured out. Not only do the outer pins need 5v and ground, but one of the inside pins also needed a connection for a 2.x v connection. This was the only way to get the system to actually charge.

For $10 in parts and about 45 min in time (most of it was troubleshooting) I just created the exact same thing that Double Apex sells for $70

nadams5755

Ready to race!
i suppose i could just solder the $5 part directly to the anker charger.

i should poke around more and see if there's a 'USB' mounting block which fits in the non-end block, where all corners are squared (instead of the two rounded).

then, install two USB ports in the front.

///Audience

Ready to race!
i suppose i could just solder the $5 part directly to the anker charger.

i should poke around more and see if there's a 'USB' mounting block which fits in the non-end block, where all corners are squared (instead of the two rounded).

then, install two USB ports in the front.

I've looked everywhere and it seems as though no one makes one. Wouldn't be impossible to make your own.

You can buy a USB charger for a cigarette lighter for a couple bucks.

I have one and it works great but I like this solution a lot better. The part he bought looks like it plugs into the OEM unit, I just need to know what did he use to reg. the voltage and which wires correspond to what? If he has a simple solution I wouldn't mind doing it. I already ordered the product.

///Audience

Ready to race!
Just like Engineered2win suggested, I used a cheap iphone cigarette lighter charger. I took it apart to reduce its size and plugged a USB cable into it, I then cut the USB on the other end and used those bare wires to connect to wire up to the OEM piece. I then wired up the cig lighter to a 12v supply and Done.

I looked at 12v -> 5v step down transformers but they all had an amperage rating of 3a and I did not want to supply too much current to the iphone.

///Audience

Ready to race!
You can buy a USB charger for a cigarette lighter for a couple bucks.

I apologize for my earlier response, it makes sense to take apart one now. I thought you were telling me just to buy a normal usb charger and live w/ it.

Just like Engineered2win suggested, I used a cheap iphone cigarette lighter charger. I took it apart to reduce its size and plugged a USB cable into it, I then cut the USB on the other end and used those bare wires to connect to wire up to the OEM piece. I then wired up the cig lighter to a 12v supply and Done.

I looked at 12v -> 5v step down transformers but they all had an amperage rating of 3a and I did not want to supply too much current to the iphone.

Makes sense! I have a few usb car chargers that I've kept over the years!

brucie_boy

Hey guys can you let me know what colours are + power & - power, I’m looking to try install this for charging only (anything else I need?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk