GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I get a manual or automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
If you have never driven a manual, then why are you considering one now?

It used to be a right of passage, but in the digital age where kids prefer smart phones to cars, driving a manual seems to be becoming quite esoteric. Even some gear heads prefer DSG these days with excuses like, "my wife needs to drive the car", "I sit in a lot of traffic", or "I took an arrow to my left knee".

The ones who tout DSG's faster shifting and 0-60 times are correct and that means more to them because racecar.

What is important to you?

ThisIsBud

Right, normally I wouldn't consider a manual since I don't know how to drive one. I was going to have a buddy teach me. You gotta learn somehow. It was just my understanding that it was a more enjoyable experience driving a manual. That and I don't want my automatic crapping out on me.

chc29

Ready to race!
Right, normally I wouldn't consider a manual since I don't know how to drive one. I was going to have a buddy teach me. You gotta learn somehow. It was just my understanding that it was a more enjoyable experience driving a manual. That and I don't want my automatic crapping out on me.

Your clutch will probably crap out on you faster than the DSG, but yes, I think manual is a more enjoyable experience. After a while, manual becomes automatic.

Skeptix

Ready to race!
I have dsg as I wasn't a good manual driver when I got it. I've gotten decent at it now and I basically hate my car and can't wait to get a manual car.

WinkleDinkle

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a manual. That way you can drive any car in the future and it will weigh less into your decision making when you buy your next car. People make an awful lot of fuss about how much extra "effort" it is to drive a manual. I personally don't see it that way.

Moodymedstudent

Ready to race!
Like I said OP, if you want to learn/experience a manual properly it's basically now or never. Give it a shot. If you don't like it, there will always be automatics down the road. It's not the same when you're driving someone else's car.

With that being said, the DSG is an amazing piece of technology. I know because that's how my dad makes his living as an executive Borg Warner engineer. It's even superior to the Porsche PDK system in terms of reliability (which is made by a different company, so he might be a little biased :D). Maybe I can get him to make an AMA about transmissions someday.

Last edited:

mully

Ready to race!
My last car was a 6 speed and I would say get the dsg. The huge plus is the dsg's capability for handling more power. It is one less factor to consider when adding parts, a huge factor. When adding upgraded clutches you run into drivability issues. Also, manual is fun maybe 20% of the time, the rest is a pain. I use the center shift lever most often and the hand from the wheel to lever movement keeps me involved when driving. I am a huge geek and it makes it feel like a racecar with a sequential shifter. Using the center lever keeps you busier than the paddle. When you add power you will find the weakest link, the clutch.

Moodymedstudent

Ready to race!
My last car was a 6 speed and I would say get the dsg. The huge plus is the dsg's capability for handling more power. It is one less factor to consider when adding parts, a huge factor. When adding upgraded clutches you run into drivability issues. Also, manual is fun maybe 20% of the time, the rest is a pain. I use the center shift lever most often and the hand from the wheel to lever movement keeps me involved when driving. I am a huge geek and it makes it feel like a racecar with a sequential shifter. Using the center lever keeps you busier than the paddle. When you add power you will find the weakest link, the clutch.

My last car was a MK6 TDI with DSG before I traded it in for the GTI 1 year later. Pushing the knob up and down, and without that 3rd pedal, just felt like a knockoff version of a real manual. My passengers would sometimes look at me and wonder WTF I'm doing, and why I don't just put it into drive and go.

Anyway, I'm speaking for myself only, as I am sure you are as well. I get bored pretty easily, and I love a DIY gearbox because it FORCES me to do more work while driving, and 95% of the time the work is fun.

Last edited:

DummyBear

Ready to race!
got my mk6 gti stage 2 in dsg and i was bored after a yr and traded in for a golf r. it is not so much about how much power which tranmission can take, but more about the manual gives u the actual "feel of driving". the gti dsg is a amazing piece of engineering but the "feel" is just not there yet....

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Agreed. These threads do nothing but bring up the entire Manual vs. DSG war. Everyone has differing opinions about what they like to drive and what their physical needs for each system are.

Drive both and figure out which one you like.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Status
Not open for further replies.